JD 790 4 wh dr question

/ JD 790 4 wh dr question #1  

double hunter

Gold Member
Tractor
Ford 1715
I have a Jd790 4wh dr, my question is do both front tires pull in 4 wh dr or does one or the other pull, thanks for any info

/ JD 790 4 wh dr question #2  
One or the other, I believe. Do not have positraction available to the front axle. Only front wheel drive assist.

/ JD 790 4 wh dr question #3  
Both front wheels are driven through a front differential - it cannot be locked. As long as they have equal traction, they will pull equally. If one has no traction, it will spin free, and the other will not drive. In this case, your two options are to restore traction to the free front wheel, and/or, apply the rear differential lock, so that the rear wheels alone get you moving. The front wheel differential cannot practically have a lock, as it would tear itself up in tight corners with good front wheel traction.

/ JD 790 4 wh dr question #4  
The above posts are accurate. The front axle differential is 'open' spider gears, there is no limited slip or locking diff.

/ JD 790 4 wh dr question
Thanks for the info,,My tractor is working exactly as described above and I thought that was correct. I have this tractor up for sale (replaced it with a L3240). I had a gentleman looking at it yesterday and he’s the one that planted the seeds of doubt that it had a problem, he also offered to buy it as is but I would have to come way down on my price, I thanked him for his interested abd told him to drive carefully on the way home, I think my man may have been trying to hoo-doo me a little