JD 790 4WD type and amount of fluid for the power steering

/ JD 790 4WD type and amount of fluid for the power steering #1  

My2cents

Tractor
John Deere 790 w/419 Loader, Cub Cadet 1250
New to tractors and bought this 790 with 860 hours. I started to change all the fluids and i am stuck on steering fluid. I belive i read it is hydrostatic so i assumed it used the same fluid as the hydraulic system?

Then when i remove the cap to fill, no line to let you know when it full.

Thank you in advance,

/ JD 790 4WD type and amount of fluid for the power steering #2  
New to tractors and bought this 790 with 860 hours. I started to change all the fluids and i am stuck on steering fluid. I belive i read it is hydrostatic so i assumed it used the same fluid as the hydraulic system?

Then when i remove the cap to fill, no line to let you know when it full.

Thank you in advance,
There is no steering fluid. And your tractor has a collar shift manual transmission. There will be fluid for your hydraulic system and another for your transmission. You also need to check the gear oil in your front axle and of course motor oil and radiator coolant. And grease every zerk on tractor and loader.

/ JD 790 4WD type and amount of fluid for the power steering
Ok i have changed Engine, hydraulic and the axle fluids , the confusion that i am having is what is that cap (in pictures) attached.

The upper is for engine oil. but the lower one with the exposed gear.

BTW i am having surging on the steering when turning some times is hard then its ok and it seems to change when with engine speed. that is why i am looking to see if it has enough fluid and or to change it.

thank you,

Attachments

• jd790oil2.jpeg
    jd790oil2.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 112
  • JH790oil.jpeg
    JH790oil.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 114
   / JD 790 4WD type and amount of fluid for the power steering #4  
Ok i have changed Engine, hydraulic and the axle fluids , the confusion that i am having is what is that cap (in pictures) attached.

The upper is for engine oil. but the lower one with the exposed gear.

BTW i am having surging on the steering when turning some times is hard then its ok and it seems to change when with engine speed. that is why i am looking to see if it has enough fluid and or to change it.

thank you,
Google for a service manual, or maybe just call and talk to a JD service mechanic.

/ JD 790 4WD type and amount of fluid for the power steering #5  
I don’t have a 790 but I’m quite sure that’s just a second fill port for Motor Oil

/ JD 790 4WD type and amount of fluid for the power steering #6  
Both for adding engine oil.

Both same part # M805710
Welcome to TBN

Attachments

• 790_oil_cap.jpg
    790_oil_cap.jpg
    229.8 KB · Views: 82
Last edited:
   / JD 790 4WD type and amount of fluid for the power steering
I appreciate the help. Looks like i will be able to finish tomorow and button everything up.

Thank you,

/ JD 790 4WD type and amount of fluid for the power steering #8  
The second orange plug seems to me to be on the valve cover. If so, then yes, just a second option to fill up engine oil.