JD 820 switch

/ JD 820 switch #1  

Mtbassman

Tractor
1972 John Deere 820
Hi, I've got a '72 JD 820 and bought the recommended replacement switch #al19890. Does anybody have a diagram for hooking this switch up? I can't figure out which wire goes where. It didn't come with any directions. Any help would be appreciated! Thanks

/ JD 820 switch #2  
I have wiring diagram for later model 3 cylinder engine 2040 but I think it's different from 820 because diesel fuel is controlled at IP by electricity on 820 & manual cable on 2040.
Bat wire is red from circuit breaker,neutral start switch is black,alt light is red.

/ JD 820 switch #3  
There should be 4 wires to terminal 15. One should be a black wire that goes to the switch for thermostart. One should be a black wire going to ground the alternator light and air filter indicator light. One should be a black wire to start safety switch. Other one should be a black wire going to fuse 2 in fuse box. Terminal 56a should have a white wire to fuse #8 in fuse box. Terminal 56b should have a yellow wire that goes to fuse 7 in fuse box. Terminal 58 should have a gray wire going to fuse 5 in fuse box. Terminal 30 should have a red wire going to fuse 1 in fuse box.

/ JD 820 switch
The original switch pushes in to start the glow plugs and push button below to start. Only turns for the different light functions. Looks like a resistor on the back of it also. Never saw that before on a switch. I'll post a pic when I take it out again. Thanks for the replies!

/ JD 820 switch #5  
Yes sir I was surprised many yrs ago of needing to push key into switch to start a NEW JD 820 utility tractor.

FYI this model JD tractor has "no glow plugs".

/ JD 820 switch #6  
The light switch on my 2030 has a resistor on the back (coil of resistance wire) I think it's to dim the "headlights" on the fenders (forward facing lights)

/ JD 820 switch #7  
Did you ever get it wired in?
Hi, I've got a '72 JD 820 and bought the recommended replacement switch #al19890. Does anybody have a diagram for hooking this switch up? I can't figure out which wire goes where. It didn't come with any directions. Any help would be appreciated! Thanks

/ JD 820 switch #8  
Welcome to this forum
I couldn't locate a 820 utility tractor JD tech manual. My next choice would be the next newer model 830 utility tractor TM

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-10-13 072532.png
    Screenshot 2023-10-13 072532.png
    28.3 KB · Views: 29