JD 855 Injector Pump Gearbox

/ JD 855 Injector Pump Gearbox #1  

Currmudgeon

Gold Member
Tractor
JD 855
On the front of the fuel injector pump, is a gearbox with an oil filler cap on top. there is no dipstick on the cap, and no telltale drain plugs on the side of the gearcase, anywhere I can see.

I cannot locate this in the Operator's manual as a service point.

What, if anything, goes in there and how much?

Now, if I can only grow another elbow, I think I can reach all the grease zerks.

/ JD 855 Injector Pump Gearbox #2  
On most of the Yanmar engines there are two oil fills, one on the valve cover and the other in front of the injector pump. According to the John Deere Manual, they recommend filling the oil from the oil fill in front of the injector pump. Here some text and the picture attached from my 790 manual.

7. If oil level is low:

· Remove right side engine shield from tractor.

· Remove oil filler cap (C).

(see attachment for picture)

M99221

8. Add engine oil if necessary. Oil level should be no higher than the FULL mark on the dipstick. DO NOT overfill. (See Engine Oil in this section for the preferred oil application.)

9. Install dipstick.

10. Install and tighten oil fill cap.

11. Install right engine side shield.

12. Lower hood.

[image]c:\790 oil fill.jpg[/image]

Attachments

• 300620-790 oil fill.jpg
    300620-790 oil fill.jpg
    18.4 KB · Views: 368
   / JD 855 Injector Pump Gearbox
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( On most of the Yanmar engines there are two oil fills, one on the valve cover and the other in front of the injector pump. According to the John Deere Manual, they recommend filling the oil from the oil fill in front of the injector pump.)</font>

Thanks for the comeback. The 855 manual is obviously a little different from the 790 manual, as mine shows adding oil through the cap on the valve cover.

The more I stared at that gearcase, the more it looked like it was attached to the crankcase. Thanks for confirming that.