JD Ballast Box- Reinforcement

/ JD Ballast Box- Reinforcement #1  

Trails2004

Gold Member
Tractor
2009 JD 3520
I have searched and could not find any information- If this is a duplicate thread my apologies>

Has anyone been concerned with filling their BB with cement - without reinforcing the 3 point pins in the box?? A coworker mentioned I should not use cement for fear of damaging the 3 point lower pins..

The pins are welded to a piece of strap on the outside of the box- He beleives the pins should be connected to each other- with a bar or similar on the inside of the box.

I have a JD 790 if that helps you with your comments//

Many Thanks!!

/ JD Ballast Box- Reinforcement #2  
I just happen to have both of those, a JD 790 and a concrete filled JD weight box. :thumbsup:

I also was a little concerned about the pins myself but did nothing about them.

Going on 3 years so far, maybe I was just overly concerned. ;)

/ JD Ballast Box- Reinforcement #3  
JD has been making these box's for a long time, and they also recommend filling them with Portland Cement to the brim-even adding the extension to them for the bigger tractors so you can get more cement in them...

I am sure if there was a problem it would have shown up by now! I believe the JD engineer's have done their homework on this:thumbsup: And I am sure your coworker has good intentions but there is no reason to fear filling the box with cement or anything else.

Mine is 6 years old and filled with cement;)

/ JD Ballast Box- Reinforcement #4  
My JD box has over 1,000Lbs of LEAD in it!!!!:thumbsup: Its yet to bend, and has been put thru ****. Its rock solid, don't worrk about it! There is a reinforcing strip welded to the box where the pins go thru If my memory serves me right.