JD fuel problem solved.

/ JD fuel problem solved. #1  

dirtworksequip

Veteran Member
Tractor
2006 JD 3520 w/cab & 300CX loader. 1995 JD 870 w/440 loader & 8b backhoe.JD 455 w/54" mower deck.
After trying to blow air thru the return & supply fuel lines. I decided to remove the fender deck and see if I could get to the fuel lines where they entered the tank. Once I got the fender deck off there was easy access to the fuel lines. I was able to blow air thru both lines. Telling me the problem was in the tank. All you have to do is spin a big plastic nut off and lift out the fuel guage assembly. There is also an electric fuel pump attached to this assembly. I switched on the key but the pump did not run. I removed the pump and hooked it up to a pair of jumper wires from the battery. It ran OK. Then I checked the power feed to the pump. NO POWER. Traced the wires back to a fuse. Pulled the fuse. Fuse OK, but corroded. Checked fuse holder with test light. Power OK. Put in a new fuse. Turned on key. PUMP RAN OK! Pulled fuse-pump quit. All that messing around for a corroded fuse. Mowed grass for 3 or 4 hours, problem solved.

Thanks to everyone for their input.

/ JD fuel problem solved. #2  
See that? That happens too often to me on an electrical diagnosis! If I start at the fuse it ends up needing a pump. If I start at the pump it ends up needing a fuse. Remember not to run a gasoline fuel pump out of the tank, it can explode. No problem on a oil burner pump though. Way to go after the problem, step by step gets it done sooner or later. Success is sweet eh?

/ JD fuel problem solved.
Thanks for the gas pump tip! That will not be a problem with me. I do not own anything gas. Two diesel autos and two compact tractors plus the JD 455. I refuse to own gas anything. Thanks again.

/ JD fuel problem solved. #4  
Thank you for sharing the solution to your problem. I learned something new. Glad to hear that you got 'er fixed up and running!