JD Grain Drill

/ JD Grain Drill #1  

TNhobbyfarmer

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kubota L3430 Polaris Ranger 500
I found this drill on a used equipment lot today. It's old but I have been looking for something like this to plant food plots. Any of you guys (Farmwithjunk?) ever used one like this? What should I look for as possible trouble areas? If there are problems, are these machines fairly straight forward to work on? They want $650.00. What does that price sound like?

I just threw the third pic in. It has nothing to do with this post. I saw this beautiful maple tree today in full fall splendor. We're having a late but fairly nice leaf season here in spite of the drought we experienced this summer. When I see something like that, it convinces me even more of God's majesty.

Attachments

• JD Grain Drill 001.jpg
    JD Grain Drill 001.jpg
    67.9 KB · Views: 756
  • JD Grain Drill 002.jpg
    JD Grain Drill 002.jpg
    70.7 KB · Views: 742
  • Fall Maple.jpg
    Fall Maple.jpg
    68.8 KB · Views: 296
   / JD Grain Drill #2  
I think that's a model FB117B. (11 disc-7" spacing-FBB) , 6'-5" drilling width.

I've got an FB137B. (14" wider) They're about as basic and reliable as a drill can be. MOST parts are still available from Deere. I've got a small seed box that goes on the FB117B model you've pictured. (Rough, but usable condition) I've also got a spare manual should you buy that one. $650 is not cheap, but it's not out of line either. You'll stumble on to them cheaper at times, but generally not a lot cheaper. That model is a good one for a smaller tractor. 20 to 30 hp will handle it with ease. It'll plant wheat, barley, soybeans or any medium sized seed. Small seed (like alfalfa or many grass seeds) will require the small seed box.

Check seed box and fertilizer box for rust holes. Check for stripped or siezed shafts and gears. That is a power lift (as opposed to hydraulic lift) Check function of the lift. (Requires a tractor pulling forward on the tongue)

If you aren't familiar with a drill, an owners manual is a matter of necessity

They were built from middle 1950's until the early '70's. I believe that one is a late '50's model.

We're in the midst of full color here too. The trees are almost a full month behind a normal fall. we have 4 huge silver maples around the house. They're a yellow-gold color and leaves are pouring down right now.

Last edited:
   / JD Grain Drill #3  
TNhobbyfarmer said:
I found this drill on a used equipment lot today. It's old but I have been looking for something like this to plant food plots. Any of you guys (Farmwithjunk?) ever used one like this? What should I look for as possible trouble areas? If there are problems, are these machines fairly straight forward to work on? They want $650.00. What does that price sound like?

I just threw the third pic in. It has nothing to do with this post. I saw this beautiful maple tree today in full fall splendor. We're having a late but fairly nice leaf season here in spite of the drought we experienced this summer. When I see something like that, it convinces me even more of God's majesty.

Been looking for one of those to plant my grass mix for horse hay (44% orchardgrass, 28% perrenial rye, 28% annual rye).

I don't see any press wheels on the backside of the GD you're looking at. A JD drill similar to yours with press wheels sold recently (last Aug) on eBay for $635.

One like yours set up for grass seeding sold last Sep on eBay for $485. I'd dicker a little to get the price on yours down to the $500 range.

/ JD Grain Drill #4  
I bought one of those recently, though there are two boxes and add up to 10'. Mine has 3 broken horn shaped seed shoots at the bottom behind the disc where the seeds drop ( don't know what you call those ). The last owner had a rocky place and they seem to have sheered off cleanly where the horn turns up towards the boxes. There are also a few other things, but works overall. I paid $600. Does anyone know what the broken parts mentioned above are made of? I tried to weld one of them back on, and the weld just sat on top, the last owner's guess was that it's cast iron.

/ JD Grain Drill #5  
RancherSam said:
I bought one of those recently, though there are two boxes and add up to 10'. Mine has 3 broken horn shaped seed shoots at the bottom behind the disc where the seeds drop ( don't know what you call those ). The last owner had a rocky place and they seem to have sheered off cleanly where the horn turns up towards the boxes. There are also a few other things, but works overall. I paid $600. Does anyone know what the broken parts mentioned above are made of? I tried to weld one of them back on, and the weld just sat on top, the last owner's guess was that it's cast iron.

If I'm following you description, I THINK you're talking about the "seed drop tube". Originals were thin gauge steel. Replacements are rubber (and MUCH better in rough conditions)

/ JD Grain Drill #6  
flusher said:
Been looking for one of those to plant my grass mix for horse hay (44% orchardgrass, 28% perrenial rye, 28% annual rye).

I don't see any press wheels on the backside of the GD you're looking at. A JD drill similar to yours with press wheels sold recently (last Aug) on eBay for $635.

One like yours set up for grass seeding sold last Sep on eBay for $485. I'd dicker a little to get the price on yours down to the $500 range.

Models with press wheels are distinguished by model #'s including "PD" (presswheel drill) Very seldom will you see a presswheel drill in the midwest/southeast US. Most of what you'll find in this part of the country has the "cover chains" like the one pictured.

One MAJOR consideration these days is "getting it home". I used to buy a lot of EBAY implements. Nowdays if you have to go more than a few miles from home to retrieve your purchase, fuel cost (or hiring a hauler) has to be considered with actual purchase price. My last purchase was a 2-row planter in mid-Ohio. I ended up spending more to go get it and bring it home than what I paid the seller. Buying local and paying a premium is starting to have a greater attraction to me.

/ JD Grain Drill #7  
Others were right on the ID, should have a tag on the left side. Look carefully at the seed doors at the top of the seed drop tubes. There is a small rectangular door that has a metal tab that works like a lever, it adjusts for the thickness of the seed being drilled. Check to see if the doors have any rust holes in them, and that the levers are there and do move. Next check to see if the feed shaft will rotate with a wrench, then check to see if the feeds will open and close freely with the set lever. The material that the seed horns are made of is cast iron, and cannot be welded conventionally. Can be brazed, or tig welded, or nickel welded with special rod. I just bought one of these in MD for $250 at auction, they were popular in their day, so parts for the openers are probably cheaper than welding. Good luck with your decision.

/ JD Grain Drill #8  
Where is the best place to get parts for these drills? Local John Deere dealer? ebay? some other place. Thanks for the info. I went to my LWS and they were selling a pound of special cast iron welding rods that also did SS for $42 a pound! So I bought a few bronze brazing rods, and will attempt to braze it myself. Now it seems that the horns might be cheaper to just replace, but where to buy them? I wonder if it's worth brazing.

/ JD Grain Drill #9  
Rancher Sam- there are still a few tractor junkyards in business. Generally there's one of these drills stashed in a corner of the junkyard somewhere. Where are you located, I might know of a yard near you.

/ JD Grain Drill #10  
hi diyDave,

I'm located in San Marcos, TX - can hit either Austin or San Antonio places.