JD loader resurection

/ JD loader resurection #1  

JP11

Silver Member
Tractor
Cub Cadet 2518
I have a 36A loader for my JD 1020 that a relative is letting me rescue from his field.

Price is right.. FREE.

Rams are all pretty rusted. Can I bring em back around? or is it not worth investing the time?

I have a call in to my dealer.. nothing for parts showed up immediately.. I think a shiny new rod, and a rebuild kit would be fastest and cheapest.

what about just replacing all the rams with aftermarket?

I stumbled across this site, lots of different kinds..

Prince Cylinders:Welded - Royal Line

any suggestions?

JP

/ JD loader resurection #2  
I have a 36A loader for my JD 1020 that a relative is letting me rescue from his field.

Price is right.. FREE.

Rams are all pretty rusted. Can I bring em back around? or is it not worth investing the time?

I have a call in to my dealer.. nothing for parts showed up immediately.. I think a shiny new rod, and a rebuild kit would be fastest and cheapest.

what about just replacing all the rams with aftermarket?

I stumbled across this site, lots of different kinds..

Prince Cylinders:Welded - Royal Line

any suggestions?

JP

If the rams are pitted, it probably isn't possible to simply remove the rust and expect the seals to not leak. They would at best probably need rechromed. If not pitted,a VERY light sanding may bring them around. Seal kits are usually pretty reasonable. Replacing the rods and seals may end up costing less than aftermarket cylinders.

I have had very good luck purchasing hydraulics on ebay. It may take a little vigilant watching and patience but there are bargains that come around that can't be beat. I purchased brand new tilt cylinders and very good used lift cylinders for my loader for about $150 total including shipping. Yes, it took awhile for those to come around but I wasn't in a huge rush and the wait was worth it. You can always go with Prince or many other makers but for 4 cylinders, I think you are goung to end up in the $700-$800 range

In the end though, you may just want to take them to a reputable local hydraulic shop and get a quote on what it will take to bring them back up to spec and go from there.