jd lt 160 starting issues

/ jd lt 160 starting issues #1  

forgeblast

Elite Member
Tractor
John Deer 318
Hi all, i have a jd 160. The battery had a bit of corrosion on it so i cleaned it, and then i replaced the sparkplug, it was black, had a lot of carbon on it. I checked all the wires, but the tractor will not turn over. I hear the starter, but it seems like the engine will not turn. any suggestions? should i hit it with a bit of starting fluid? Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Thanks all
forgeblast

/ jd lt 160 starting issues #2  
Hi,

First, is this a 1980s vintage JD160 or the newer JD LT160?

Does the engine turn over with the starter or not? You should be able to see the fan on the top of the motor turn if you have the hood open when you try to start it. If it turns, that leads you down one branch of the troubleshooting tree. If it doesn't turn, that's a different branch. Let us know.

Joe Padavano

/ jd lt 160 starting issues
Its the newer verison only about 3 years old. when i had the hood open the fan spun.
thanks

/ jd lt 160 starting issues #4  
Any chance that it's been sitting for the winter with old gas in it?

I added a gas treatment to it, but yes it did sit with gas in it. Should i add more treatment to it or add more gas?
thanks again.

************update*******
Thank you all i think it was just a bit of stale gas. I hit it with some starting fluid and it started. Thank you all for your suggestions.

Forgeblast