JD LT150

/ JD LT150 #1  

bjm27

a John Deere Dealer is trying to sell me a '05 LT105 for 2100, with bagger. The tractor looks good, drives well, but I am unsure about the cost for a used unit, and have no idea about how many hours are on the 15hp Kohler.

Any sugesstions are welcome. I also was looking at a CC2138, it only has 10 hours on the engine and they are asking 2650.

/ JD LT150 #2  
Well, considering Break'em & Scrap'em is now building the motors for Deere 100 series tractors, I would say that kohler powered tractor is worth it's weight in gold.

Seriously though, I see them listed for $21-2300 (2005's). Doesn't seem like a bad price at all.

Sorry, can't help you with the CC question.

/ JD LT150 #3  
I assume you've transposed the numbers in the body of your post, and meant 150 and not 105.

I think the price seems reasonable, but living in Canada, there is the dollar conversion factor, and a little different market.

In the spring, I purchased a new discounted 2005 LT150. When I went to the dealer to look at tractors it was to check out the new 135 model. But, comparing it to the LT150, the beefier frame, other engineering refinements, and the Kohler engine made the 150 the better value, in my mind.

I spent a little more than I had originally intended, but I am satisfied with what I bought. It's working well, and I anticipate this tractor will outlast me.

Questions to consider/ask as you evaluate this potential purchase - Will the dealer let you try this tractor out, including some grass cutting? Does the frame seem tight? Are there unusual noises, especially when you engage the mower? What waranty or guarantee is the dealer offering? Is it possible to contact the former owner? Surely the dealer has some opinion to offer, and not just sales talk or hype.

All the best.
JP

/ JD LT150 #4  
Shoot, when you can jump on to a new Cub Cadet GT2542 for $2999 with three year warranty, I'd say forget anything used if you are in or close to that price range in shopping. A Cub 2542 is a really serious solid garden tractor. The JD 105 was an entry level light duty lawn tractor.

-Fordlords-

/ JD LT150
JP-

thanks for catching the error on my part. You are correct in assuming that I was in fact looking at the LT150 and not the low end 105.

I was able to test the mower out at my property, drove well, engine didn't seem to have any problems, but the dealer was definetly trying to be a salesman and not someone who was wiling to be straight and upfront. That is why the mower is still sitting on their used lot.

The problem that I face is that without completely rebuilding my fence, I can only get a 38" deck through the gate easily, and that is while holding the chute guard up.

-bjm.

/ JD LT150 #6  
Being an 05, hourmeters were optional,, too bad, it would be
nice to know how many hours are on it.
does it look like new still?
for that price, I would want it under 50 hrs, and in
almost new condition...otherwise it seems a little high priced,
maybe worth $1900 or $2,000.
(new leftovers sold for $2250 this spring)

/ JD LT150 #7  
bjm27 said:
a John Deere Dealer is trying to sell me a '05 LT105 for 2100, with bagger. The tractor looks good, drives well, but I am unsure about the cost for a used unit, and have no idea about how many hours are on the 15hp Kohler.

Any sugesstions are welcome. I also was looking at a CC2138, it only has 10 hours on the engine and they are asking 2650.

I payed that for mine 4-5yrs ago.. All in all, I would have rather had the LT16 or 180... The LT150 is a little light duty in my opinion, but I guess it depends on what you need it for... I also agree that for that price range you should be able to find something new... Do you homework though, dont just jump on one because it fits your gate...How much grass do you have to cut?

/ JD LT150
Greg-

I appreciate your comments and thoughts. I have been doing my research and at this point I am about out of options unless I go for the low end Craftsman, which I don't feel good about; so its just a waiting game. The x300 is my only option at this point for a new tractor, but it is somewhat out of the range of what I was hoping to pay.
I'm just surprised that there are not more 38" decks on the market, especially with the Cub Cadets.

-bjm

/ JD LT150 #9  
Hmmm, lucky for me the deck size hasnt been an issue(I would actually prefer a bigger one)... Overall, its a decent mower and you'll probably be happy with it.. I had a problem in the begining with mine, mostly because of my expectations of JD being top quality.... The seat frame will wear on the rear fender causing it to rust(I think the problem was addressed with plastic strips after mine was built though)..The Kohler motor has been great, little short on power for my application, but runs well... In that size mower, I believe the quality is pretty close in most of them.. Again, it really depends on what you need it for(and how much you'll use it).. Its getting late in the season, if at all possible, if I were in your shoes, I would try to wait it out and find a used one for sale in the paper.. I know some guys who will buy a new mower each year, selling their current one in the winter time for a reasonable price before they get much wear at all... I would actually consider that method for myself if mine hadnt been repainted(by JD after my issues) after having it for 1 1/2 years.. If you were to go that route, you could feasibly go with a cheaper, Murray or something, and sell it when your done for the season without loosing much money and get another in the spring.. Just a thought, check your local papers and bargain trader (a search for trader publishing will tell you where to buy them if you havent seen it before, I suppose some areas dont have one)..

/ JD LT150 #10  
Looking at one of these which Kohler does it have?