*&*&^^%$$ JD Numbering re-visited

/ *&*&^^%$$ JD Numbering re-visited #1  

Cidertom

Gold Member
Tractor
JD 4520, 2305 Aktive snow-trac ST4
Just back from the parts counter. Found out that JD has already used the 4520 model number. OK, so the parts guy caught it, but if you just asked for an oil filter for a 4520 you might get something very different than what you wanted. Of course this says something FOR jd, they still reference and have at least some parts for the older equipment. Anyone know when the original 4520 was made?

/ *&*&^^%$$ JD Numbering re-visited #2  
I ran into this once as well. Every now and then my little 790 compact tractor thinks it's a big 790 tracked excavator /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

/ *&*&^^%$$ JD Numbering re-visited #3  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( Anyone know when the original 4520 was made?)</font>

1969-1972
122 pto hp
6 cylinder turbo diesel 404 cu in

/ *&*&^^%$$ JD Numbering re-visited #4  
Yup, and my parts guy gets complaints all the time from asking customers for the serial number. Customer's step up and say something like "gimme a filter for a Deere XXXX" then wait for it to magically show up on the counter. The questions then usually are heard to go like;

"filter, for what? oil, transmission, air?"
"oil"

"Serial number?"
"no idea"

and on and on...... Those parts guys really should remember what every customer has, and its amazing how much they really do remember what customers have, (but don't always).
They are pretty remarkable many times. But pity the new guy on the block. Some customers show no mercy.. /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Please don't mean that is the way TBN members do it, but just ones I've listened to. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

/ *&*&^^%$$ JD Numbering re-visited #5  
<font color="blue"> Those parts guys really should remember what every customer has </font>

I don't know about the parts guys but my dealer has a database in the computer that includes all the equipment we have bought. They will add in whatever you have. I think you can add your equipment numbers on JDparts. Those computers can be pretty handy especially for us older guys. Really comes in handy when they want to know if you have sn 0001234 or sn 0001235 cause of a parts change. I keep all the information for our equipment on index cards. Now if I can just find them. /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif

Chris

/ *&*&^^%$$ JD Numbering re-visited #6  
Yeah, and I got a maintenance CD on the monster, older 4010. Sent it back; got credit and finally received one for my little guy.

They really ought to come up with a numbering or naming system that doesn't duplicate and that should bear some approximation to the size/hp of the tractor.

Even my neighbor's old 830 (think that's it) is the same # as a little gas engined garden tractor.

Ralph

/ *&*&^^%$$ JD Numbering re-visited #7  
I think every time they change personnell at a certain level of management the new guy decide he has a better numbering system and begins to implement it for any new machines to hit the streets under his regime. Then another guy moves up when this guy retires and the whole thing starts all over. /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

/ *&*&^^%$$ JD Numbering re-visited #8  
Those computers are great when they are up and running. I went to the local JD dealer for my father in law to pick up some bucket teeth and the guy's that were widening the road had cut some wire required by the computer system. I knew something was up when I walked in and there were 5 customers standing around and all the parts guys were hee-hawing around. When I finally spoke up and asked what was going on I learned of the computer issue. Seems they are dead in the water without the computer to guide them along. I ended up going for lunch and when I came back all was well.
John