JD Verical Exhaust WARNING!

/ JD Verical Exhaust WARNING! #1  

dirtworksequip

Veteran Member
Tractor
2006 JD 3520 w/cab & 300CX loader. 1995 JD 870 w/440 loader & 8b backhoe.JD 455 w/54" mower deck.
For anyone that installed the vertical exhaust on their 3x20 or 4x20 tractors. You may want to check your exhaust and take steps to prevent the problem I had. Mine has been idle for awhile and when I went to remove the exhaust stack to open the hood I just could not get it off. Pulled and pulled. Rusted in place. I tried to use a block of wood to knock it upward to loosen it. Didn't work. So, I ended up using a piece of wood lath about 20 inches long to go up under the hood from below and tapping it with a hammer. That worked.

Of course the exhaust being stuck on set off a whole disassembly of the system,cleaning and painting with black heat resistant paint. I also never siezed the inside of the exhaust stack and the tappered pipe it sits on.

/ JD Verical Exhaust WARNING! #2  
Never siezed usually does the job in preventing things like that happening.Good luck .Mike

/ JD Verical Exhaust WARNING! #3  
I appreciate the heads-up. I just installed the vertical exhaust on my 3320.

/ JD Verical Exhaust WARNING! #4  
Good lesson to be learned here...use an anti-seize on all exhaust fasteners if you ever want to remove them!
And yeah, I learned the hard way too!

/ JD Verical Exhaust WARNING! #5  
One thing I do that helps here is, when I'm going to be down for a bit, I hook up a battery tender. This requires opening the hood - which requires popping off the vertical stack. I will add the never-seize though. Great idea!

/ JD Verical Exhaust WARNING! #6  
I sure wish they made a verical exhaust for the 2520. Seems like I can always smell the diesel.