JD X485 fuel pump not running

/ JD X485 fuel pump not running #1  

beenthere

Super Star Member
Tractor
JD_4x2_Gator, JD_4300, JD_425, JD_455 AWS, added JD_455, JD_110, JD_X485(sold)
Thought I ran out of fuel, but added fuel and then could not hear the fuel pump run when the ignition key turned to on.

Service tech manual pages give schematics of electrical and test points to check. Indication there is a fusible link (F6) and fuse (F7) in the wire (221 red) to the pump.. cannot find where fuse (F7) is located.

Heard the fuel pump kick on when starting the x485 upon leaving the shed.

May have to remove the fender deck and check if voltage going to the fuel pump.. if so, then will plan to replace the pump.

Just had a thought tho, that if the fuel gauge sensor works, then that indicates there is power to the fuel pump..

Attached files show the schematic with the fusible link and fuse feeding the 221 red wire. The next file shows this 221 red wire going to the EFI Module Power Relay and the Fuel Pump Relay, then on to the 651 pink/blk wire at the Fuel Sensor and Fuel pump. The Sensor gauge shows the added fuel so assume there is power at that fuel tank location.

Any additional thoughts much appreciated.

Attachments

• 485X_fuel_pump_circuit.jpg
    485X_fuel_pump_circuit.jpg
    57.1 KB · Views: 4,465
  • 485X_fuel_pump_Fuse_F7.jpg
    485X_fuel_pump_Fuse_F7.jpg
    33.3 KB · Views: 1,097
   / JD X485 fuel pump not running #2  
F7 fuse not in the fuse-block?

Fuel gauge and fuel pump share a common 'ground/earth' on the black wire in the X10 connector.

The feed from the gauge is grounded through the variable resistor in the tank which causes the gauge needle to move. You should find the gauge feed in the X10 comes from the dash cluster

The pump and gauge have separate power feeds but a common Ground.

Check for Fuel Pump power at the 30 terminal on the relay or the 655 Pink wire before lifting the seat base to access tank wiring further.

i.e the Relay only powers the pump.

/ JD X485 fuel pump not running
Thanks Spanner.
That makes sense.. so will check for power at the 30 terminal.. will go forward or back from there.

Back to checking out that voltage in about 12 hours.. dark out now.. ;)

/ JD X485 fuel pump not running #6  
Open the hood and remove the right side screen. Look on the key switch module, it has two fuses. I don't know which is F7, but it might be one of these two. Lower right in the drawing

Attachments

• 485keyswitchmodule.gif
    485keyswitchmodule.gif
    10.2 KB · Views: 1,463
Thanks
I will look at those for sure.. a bit puzzling whether this is a fuse like that or a fusible link in a wire. But will check them out.

/ JD X485 fuel pump not running #8  
You have both a F.Link and a Fuse.
The Tech Manual will identify the F7 somewhere.

With a flashlight, checked the 15A fuses (looks like F4 and F5 on the Ignition Interlock Module board) and both ok. See attached, as found them on one of the many schematics.

Spanner, I recall a schematic with the F7 Fuse, but cannot find it again.. Will keep looking..

Attachments

• 485X_fuses_fusible_links.jpg
    485X_fuses_fusible_links.jpg
    158.2 KB · Views: 3,255
   / JD X485 fuel pump not running #10  
Lol. Couldn't wait until tomorrow?
Yes, F4 & F5 on the board.
Don't look at the 'Schematics' now. Look at the illustrations. Perhaps "Fuel Pump Test" ?
The text will say check F7 and there will be a picture or drawing of the location of F7.