JD2210 hard turnover & won't start

/ JD2210 hard turnover & won't start #11  
Thanks for the feedback. It helps. Today I got the starter off and just connecting to a battery it spins like crazy so I doubt that it is the starter. It would have to be a weak starter that takes a lot of current under load which I think is unlikely. Ughhh. I started feeling around the engine to see if I could get a wrench on the crank. On the end of the crank there appears to be a nut shaped like a half moon. Would be nice if could crank it around but....before with enough current to the starter(heavier wires etc) it would spin albeit not fast enough to start. So I am reluctantly concluding that something in the engine has gotten very stiff. It has plenty of oil and it did not overheat. Any feedback helps. I'm in central Texas so I will start looking for the best repair place for this little JD or Yanmar.

edit, I was trying to figure out what you meant by "loafing" the starter. You meant loading. I agree, I will say this, I can't hold it with my hand to stall it. There is a starter rebuild place in the area it is probably worth letting them try it before I haul the whole tractor off somewhere.

Yes loading. Sorry fat thumbs and I missed that typo.

Dead center of your crankshaft, there should be a bolt going into the crankshaft to hold the pulley on. You should be able to place a socket on it (not a wrench) and ratchet or breaker bar. You may need a short extension also.

Since you have the starter off, take it to the shop and have them test it. I would also have the battery load tested. This is typically available at any auto service location that sells batteries and parts stores. Avoid the big parts stores that do not have auto centers that will install batteries.

/ JD2210 hard turnover & won't start
Yes loading. Sorry fat thumbs and I missed that typo.

Dead center of your crankshaft, there should be a bolt going into the crankshaft to hold the pulley on. You should be able to place a socket on it (not a wrench) and ratchet or breaker bar. You may need a short extension also.

Since you have the starter off, take it to the shop and have them test it. I would also have the battery load tested. This is typically available at any auto service location that sells batteries and parts stores. Avoid the big parts stores that do not have auto centers that will install batteries.

tks Coy,
good news I think. I was able to get a 17mm socket on the crank and it seems to rotate easily even with a short ratchet handle. So I am back thinking it is the starter. Now to figure out the best place to have it tested, a generic auto parts store or an actual starter/alternator shop?.

As I mentioned before the starter rotates very fast unloaded. However, trying to rotate that bendix/gear by hand on the starter is more difficult than I would have expected.

just fyi, there are a lot numbers on the starter id plate.
YM 119462-77010

12V DE08
MADE IN JAPAN
I'm guessing it was made in Dec 2008.

/ JD2210 hard turnover & won't start #15  
tks Coy,
good news I think. I was able to get a 17mm socket on the crank and it seems to rotate easily even with a short ratchet handle. So I am back thinking it is the starter. Now to figure out the best place to have it tested, a generic auto parts store or an actual starter/alternator shop?.

As I mentioned before the starter rotates very fast unloaded. However, trying to rotate that bendix/gear by hand on the starter is more difficult than I would have expected.

Since you suspect starter issues, go with the auto electric shop. Some will roll the test expense into a rebuild if needed.

New one is $315... ouch, I have the most expensive starter for tractors it seems.
rebuild $125- 185 local rebuilder who says that they have most denso parts.
It is pretty difficult to rotate the starter gear must be a gummed up bearing inside.
There are some interesting little covered vent ports on the body of the starter, not sure if that's for lubing air or what.

/ JD2210 hard turnover & won't start #17  
New one is $315... ouch, I have the most expensive starter for tractors it seems.
rebuild $125- 185 local rebuilder who says that they have most denso parts.
It is pretty difficult to rotate the starter gear must be a gummed up bearing inside.
There are some interesting little covered vent ports on the body of the starter, not sure if that's for lubing air or what.

My guess on the ports would be heat vents.

An update on my starter problem. I decided to take apart the starter to
see what might need repair. Only thing I found was that the commutator
was loaded with graphite which is kinda normal I think. Nevertheless I cleaned it and put it all back together.

Put it back on the tractor and jumpered it to an external battery. It started spinning slowly at first but then finally got fast enough that the motor started. So to make it work I had to directly connect the negative cable directly to the base of the starter where its installed to the tractor frame and I suspect cleaning that commutator ring increased the start current enough.

So I'm going to rewire the negative wire so it doesn't go thru tractor frame but is a separate wire along the block of the engine to the battery.

I think the problem is that this starter is marginal to begin with, not real fast, ug....ug....ug and finally ug.ug.ug... Then the diesel starts so quickly when the speed gets up that it always seemed like it was rotating too slowly but then all of sudden the diesel starts.

When I cleaned the starter I forgot to clean that plunger which is part of the bendix and is actually a solenoid/switch contact that connects +12 to the internal starter motor. that was a mistake looking back on it. I should have checked that contact area on that plunger since there could be some voltage drop in that contact point. I suspect that I'll get a chance to take it apart again.

This whole discussion is really not unique to tractors but I could not find any forums that discussed generic diesel engine mechanical work. Most info I found on Yanmar was in sailboat forums.

/ JD2210 hard turnover & won't start #19  
An update on my starter problem. I decided to take apart the starter to
see what might need repair. Only thing I found was that the commutator
was loaded with graphite which is kinda normal I think. Nevertheless I cleaned it and put it all back together.

Put it back on the tractor and jumpered it to an external battery. It started spinning slowly at first but then finally got fast enough that the motor started. So to make it work I had to directly connect the negative cable directly to the base of the starter where its installed to the tractor frame and I suspect cleaning that commutator ring increased the start current enough.

So I'm going to rewire the negative wire so it doesn't go thru tractor frame but is a separate wire along the block of the engine to the battery.

I think the problem is that this starter is marginal to begin with, not real fast, ug....ug....ug and finally ug.ug.ug... Then the diesel starts so quickly when the speed gets up that it always seemed like it was rotating too slowly but then all of sudden the diesel starts.

When I cleaned the starter I forgot to clean that plunger which is part of the bendix and is actually a solenoid/switch contact that connects +12 to the internal starter motor. that was a mistake looking back on it. I should have checked that contact area on that plunger since there could be some voltage drop in that contact point. I suspect that I'll get a chance to take it apart again.

This whole discussion is really not unique to tractors but I could not find any forums that discussed generic diesel engine mechanical work. Most info I found on Yanmar was in sailboat forums.

Personally, instead of rerouting the grounding cable to the starter, I prefer to making a jumper cable from a starter bolt on the starter side to the frame of the tractor. If indeed your issue is the starter getting a solid ground, which I have seen it is through corrosion build up on the bolts/threads/machined mating surfaces. The jumper cable provides a secondary path for the ground to the frame, and maintains a frame grounding system for other electrical components on the tractor. If you relocate the ground to the starter body, you could create a lot of other electrical issues with the tractor as now only the starter has a sufficient ground.

/ JD2210 hard turnover & won't start #20  
Hi jd22, The fact that the positive bat got real hot (hi current) means that all circuitry to and from the starter is good since you are flowing way more amperage than normal.
The most likely cause of excessive internal heavy starter amp draw is worn armature bushings. This causes the armature to drag on the field pole shoes causing friction.
But since the starter runs well on the bench then engine problems seem high on your list.
A fault to look for here is non-compressible liquid above the piston caused by either a coolant leak or a dripping injector putting liquid in the cyl. Hydro lock.
You can check this possibility out by either removing an injector or glow plug and trying to crank the engine while watching each cyl.

lots of luck,