JD2210 hard turnover & won't start

/ JD2210 hard turnover & won't start #21  
Hi JD22, Sorry but did not read your last post well before replying. But if you got the engine running then obviously it is ok.
On the starter circuit. If the pos cable got hotter than normal hi amps) then both the ground and hot side of the circuit are ok.
Same current values flow through pos and gnd side at the same time. At higher than normal amperage flow in no way can one side be ok if the other side goes south.
Yup, since the starter uses more current than anything else it is always best to have your gnd cable go direct to the starter as possible.
Check your starter armature to see if is rubbing on-field pole shoes.

Last edited:
   / JD2210 hard turnover & won't start
Personally, instead of rerouting the grounding cable to the starter, I prefer to making a jumper cable from a starter bolt on the starter side to the frame of the tractor. If indeed your issue is the starter getting a solid ground, which I have seen it is through corrosion build up on the bolts/threads/machined mating surfaces. The jumper cable provides a secondary path for the ground to the frame, and maintains a frame grounding system for other electrical components on the tractor. If you relocate the ground to the starter body, you could create a lot of other electrical issues with the tractor as now only the starter has a sufficient ground.
I agree with you. If you look at many cars you will see 2 neg cables. A smaller one goes over to the car body/frame and then another thicker one goes over to the starter so that the heavy starter current does not have to flow thru the body. On this tractor there is only one small short cable that connects to the front part of the frame. Furthermore the battery is located about as far away as possible, way in the front. So I'll parallel that one with my very heavy cable over to the starter. Devices grounded to the frame will still have their previous path thru that short cable if that's the lowest resistance.

The engine runs fine now so my previous suspicions about increased engine load were wrong. I've also replaced all the battery terminals.

/ JD2210 hard turnover & won't start #23  
I agree with you. If you look at many cars you will see 2 neg cables. A smaller one goes over to the car body/frame and then another thicker one goes over to the starter so that the heavy starter current does not have to flow thru the body. On this tractor there is only one small short cable that connects to the front part of the frame. Furthermore the battery is located about as far away as possible, way in the front. So I'll parallel that one with my very heavy cable over to the starter. Devices grounded to the frame will still have their previous path thru that short cable if that's the lowest resistance.

The engine runs fine now so my previous suspicions about increased engine load were wrong. I've also replaced all the battery terminals.

FYI, with clean connections at your negative battery cable to the frame, it is unlikely that you can manage a wire that will carry the current flow of that much steel. Heat builds up from resistance (measured in ohms) to flow (measured in amps). The positive cable getting ‘hot’ (a relative term) indicates a increase in resistance. The jumper cable I suggest leaves the original design intact, but adds a secondary grounding path for the starter. A piece of electrical wire of the same gauge as the ground cable with 2 ends is a relatively inexpensive item and involves only a short bit of work. But more importantly is a very short piece of wire to be concerned with being grabbed by objects we frequently expose or tractors to. A longer ground cable presents more opportunity for this regardless of the care used in routing it and securing it.

My $0.02 + worth of suggestions

/ JD2210 hard turnover & won't start #24  
Hi Guys,
One coolest all in one gnd cable setups was on older Toyota Tacoma trks. The neg cable would have a gnd lug first soldered on and bolted to the body then second lug bolted to the frame with final lug terminating at the engine block. So you ended up with just one gnd cable connecting all 3 critical gnd points.
Be careful of using sheet metal screws for hi amp gnd's, best to use bolts with nuts instead.

/ JD2210 hard turnover & won't start #25  
Hi Guys,
One coolest all in one gnd cable setups was on older Toyota Tacoma trks. The neg cable would have a gnd lug first soldered on and bolted to the body then second lug bolted to the frame with final lug terminating at the engine block. So you ended up with just one gnd cable connecting all 3 critical gnd points.
Be careful of using sheet metal screws for hi amp gnd's, best to use bolts with nuts instead.