JD3010 Diesel won't shift

/ JD3010 Diesel won't shift #11  
Applying pressure to the fingers would be trying to lift the pressure plate. Essentially riding the clutch. This would favor the clutch slipping. There should be free play at both extremes of the PTO lever travel.
Please explain what you mean by "attempting to lift pressure plate". Applying pressure on fingers of either model pressure plates applies pressure to pto clutch. PTO pressure plate is bolted solid to 3010 flywheel & 2010 pto drive disk. I promise you pto operating mechanism on JD 2010 & 3010 tractors will not have ""free play"" at both extremes of pto lever travel. I served as a JD dealer service manager for 13 yrs so I speaking from 1st hand experience.

/ JD3010 Diesel won't shift #12  
The "pressure plate" is an assembly. The actual pressure plate within it is spring loaded in the direction of the flywheel, or drive disk. The clutch/friction plate fits between the pressure plate and flywheel and is thick enough that the pressure plate is forced against it by springs in the pressure plate assembly as the assembly is bolted to the flywheel. The friction in the spring clamped assembly is amply sufficient to transmit the full engine torque to the friction plate, which then drives whatever load. To stop driving the load the pressure plate force against the friction plate must be relaxed. This is done by pressing inward on the fingers of the pressure plate assembly to lift the pressure plate completely free of the friction plate. Since the fingers are spinning a bearing interface must be used to supply this inward force on the fingers - the throw out bearing. Continuous contact between the bearing and the fingers wears the bearing and the fingers unnecessarily while at the same time reducing by a proportional extent the clamping force needed the prevent clutch slip. A triple whammy impinging on clutch life.

I worked on my JD 2010 about 22yrs ago. I set the PTO clutch up with free play in the lever at both ends of its travel. The condition is stable to this day.

/ JD3010 Diesel won't shift #13  
Please forgive me because it's was 1987 when I ceased serving as a dealer service manager!

After more thought I agree with what you state about the unique 2010 tractors pto. That's type pto clutch operation contributes to the grinding noise when pto is engaged. On the other hand 3010 pto engagement brg applies force to pressure plate fingers 100% of time of engagement.

/ JD3010 Diesel won't shift #14  
No problem. ...

The 3010 presents a bad situation then, contrary to healthy operation of a dry clutch. I cannot understand how it lasts without routine maintenance lubing the throw out, or even works at all, unless it is an oil bathed clutch and the fingers serve a reversed function - actually pushing the pressure plate inward against the friction plate/s? instead of lifting it.

/ JD3010 Diesel won't shift #15  
JD 3010,4010,3020 & 4020 pto clutch pressure are engaged by brg pushing on pto PP engaging fingers. These type brg & fingers have lasted many 100's even 1000's of hrs of use