JD3020 Axle Hub Stuck Pinion bolt on rack

/ JD3020 Axle Hub Stuck Pinion bolt on rack #1  

MNBobcat

Platinum Member
Hi Guys,

I have a JD3020 that I'm trying to narrow up the wheelbase in back by sliding the wheel in on the axle. Never done it before.

I loosened the 3 bolts on the outside of the hub, then tightened the 2 jack bolts until one half of the inner wedge broke free. I can now rock the wheel back and forth and see that its loose on the axle. I have the wheel turned so that the rack is on top.

I then went to turn the rack and pinion bolt in order to get the wheel to move in on the axle. However, that bolt is stuck. Even with a cheater bar it doesn't want to move. To break it loose, I turned the wheel so that the opposite end of that bolt is on top and soaked it with penetrating oil. Some of the oil has followed the bolt down and ran out the bottom. I'm going to go out and try the bolt again after it has soaked some more.

Just wondering what you've had to do in that situation? I don't want to break anything or damage the pinion gear. Do I need to loosen the 3 bolts on the hub on the inside?

Any suggestions would be appreciated. I've been googling the web and searched this forum but so far haven't found much for ideas.

/ JD3020 Axle Hub Stuck Pinion bolt on rack #2  
You have done everything right. The only thing you did not mention is if you jacked up the the tractor to take the weight off the wheel you are adjusting. You may need some penetrating oil on the axle shaft/hub/sleeve area. Good luck!

/ JD3020 Axle Hub Stuck Pinion bolt on rack #3  
You have done everything right. The only thing you did not mention is if you jacked up the the tractor to take the weight off the wheel you are adjusting. You may need some penetrating oil on the axle shaft/hub/sleeve area. Good luck!

Agree, row crop axle adjusting was a BEAR esp if they have not been moved for many years. In a fair amount of cases you may break the pinion bolt or gear but they are replaceable. Keep working at it like zebra says and before you go to breaking out the pinion try your hot wrench w/ a nice big rosebud tip and get things hot, beat on it and get that rust loosend up.

/ JD3020 Axle Hub Stuck Pinion bolt on rack
Thanks guys. I do have the tractor jacked up and the weight off it. Silly me...discovered there was a cork painted yellow plugging the end of the pinion bolt hole on the opposite side. I thought that was the end of the bolt that I was seeing! LOL!

I removed the cork, rotated the hole to the top and filled the cavity with penetrating oil. Hopefully that will help.

/ JD3020 Axle Hub Stuck Pinion bolt on rack #5  
If jack bolt is still stuck remove the 3 inside bolts on the opposite wedge. Remove this wedge and rotate wheel/axle 180%,slide wheel to desired spacing and re-insert wedge or you could slide wheel off axle and free/remove jack bolt.

/ JD3020 Axle Hub Stuck Pinion bolt on rack #6  
You can drive the pinion bolt out of the hub, clean everything up and re-insert the bolt into the pinion gear. There are no separate keys to fall out of position, the keys are forged into the pinion gear and the gear cannot fall out of place enough that it can't be re-aligned with the bolt. When everything is back together and freed up, the pinion bolt should move laterally about an eighth of an inch or so. An interference fit between the bolt and pinion gear is all that retains the bolt in the hub.

You can drive the pinion bolt out of the hub, clean everything up and re-insert the bolt into the pinion gear. There are no separate keys to fall out of position, the keys are forged into the pinion gear and the gear cannot fall out of place enough that it can't be re-aligned with the bolt. When everything is back together and freed up, the pinion bolt should move laterally about an eighth of an inch or so. An interference fit between the bolt and pinion gear is all that retains the bolt in the hub.

Hi Rick,

Thanks for the info. Just to make sure I'm clear -- you're saying I can use a drift punch on the opposite end of the bolt and drive it out?

That's what I'm saying. Don't mushroom the bolt end or you'll be screwed.

I didn't have any luck breaking that pinion bolt loose. So I removed the whole tire and wheel from the tractor and have both tapered sheaths removed. I can see the pinion gear now. I figure I'll end up having to replace the gear as it looks like one tooth is bad anyway. So I put a 2x4 on the gear and gave it a few good whacks. Nothing broke...but nothing moved either. Still froze solid. I sprayed it down with penetrating oil and will work on it again tomorrow. I'd sure like to get it broke loose before trying to drive that bolt out. Though it may be nothing will break loose until I start driving it out.

I noticed the bolt has a divet in the the center where a guy could use a punch. Not sure what would work best....a solid round pipe just slightly smaller than the diameter of the hole or a punch in the center of the bolt. I'm thinking the pipe.... I'm also wondering if a pneumatic air hammer might work good to drive it out. I've seen those break wheel studs loose after I pounded on them for a long time with a BFH and didn't get anywhere.

Removing a 38" wheel full of fluid was lots of fun. The skidsteer was grunting a little on that one.

I got the pinion bolt broke loose finally. Kept hitting it with an air hammer....applying heat and penetrating oil, letting it cool, hitting it with the impact wrench, etc.