JD448 bh vs. woods bh7500

/ JD448 bh vs. woods bh7500 #1  

brown40

Gold Member
Tractor
JD 3520
Good Morning All,

I have been shopping around for backhoes for my JD 3520 OS HST... there are a lot of backhoes available of there for that size unit. I know in the long run it is a frivilous purchase, but have made my mind up to get one.

I will have to add power beyond (anyone fabbed their own? did you save a list?), so that's equal for both.

I have fond two that are not really apples-to-apples but would both perform the jobs justifying the purchase.

~2006 woods bh7500-1: Has correct subframe, under 20 total hours used, only extra cost is PB... cost is $300 more than the 448bh. Has dig & dipper force ratings that seem very anemic (about 50% less) compared to the more modern leverage inspired/extra braced/high angled woods 80x, jd448, bradco & wallenstein types that take advantage of the modern (huge) hydraulic capacities & better engineering for applying force that a lot of CUTs now support.

~2006 jd448: Set up for 4x20 series. Under 10 hrs total use. This thing has huge specifications; there seemed to be a huge bump in available power 8-10 years ago... I have attempted to go over the Deere site and I THINK (2) mounting plates to hook up, rockshaft adjustment & 448 mid frame mount (anything else?) to go on the tractor. Deere being Deere, it is hard to figure the total cost of reconfiguring the unit until I can make some weekday calls. From everything I have seen, the installation looks like a snap for the whole system, especially on the 3x20 series--well though out.

Has anyone done this conversion that has a ballpark estimate of what it costs?

I really like the extra power the 448 offers... That said, I have a 3520, and it's a cat 1 machine (and not a heavy "1"), so how much force do I need/want to subject it to? With proper mount & adjust it seems to be a good fit. The gentleman with the bh7500 is very knowledgeable and helpful, and has a unit that will bolt run on.

I know a mini-ex or devoted hoe would be better diggers, and get more done faster, but I have so many motors to go over each spring, I really don't want to get into a whole new realm of maintenance/filters/fluids.

It does seem that a lot of purchasers of backhoes regret the investment, but I live in an extremely rural area where renting isn't an easy undertaking, and contractors are few, and not hungry for small jobs like I have in mind (culverts, drainage, trenching, pond maintenance, pole barn site prep). Plus Uncle Sam returned my interest free loan, so it won't hurt to let that go.

If anyone has been in similar boat(s), I'd love to get some feedback. If any dealers have experience with these units--how have they been? Common problems?

Thanks for your time & Happy Tractoring!

Last edited:
   / JD448 bh vs. woods bh7500 #3  
I have a Woods GB9000. It has been great. It does cycle slower than a full size backhoe, but sure cycles faster than a hand shovel. You won't regret the backhoe. Even if you only use it a few times a month, when you need it, it is there.

/ JD448 bh vs. woods bh7500
If I weren't on a limited budget, I'd take the tractor in & have the dealer do everything & get a warranty, and yes, either have the 485 of woods bx80 set up brand spanking with matching paint, with a thumb & all the SCV's that could go on it (probably get a generator & snowblower too!)... I'm not in that boat though!

I am in rural Maine, about 5 hours from the New Hampshire border, so there are distance and availability constraints for the variety of units even present in our area. Rhino, Prarie Dog--BUNCHES of great looking units out there that just aren't here. Woods & JD are represented 80/20 to all other lines except brand-specific. Very limited as we just aren't populous or wealthy in the US scheme of things, so probably aren't a big prize as a territory.

I appreciate the feedback!

/ JD448 bh vs. woods bh7500
I'd have thought this was a common comparison for a few years, anyways...

Has anyone priced the conversion of a bh448 from a 4x20 to a 3x20? That's the heart of the question. I can live with less capacity of the bh7500 if I have to invest a lot retrofitting the 448.

Please share your experience & have a great day!

/ JD448 bh vs. woods bh7500 #6  
The JD mounts for your tractor will run well over a thosand dollars;buy the woods hoe and put it on I think it is actually a stronger set up than JD mounts for that tractor.As for power beyond on my 4300 I simply took off the line from loader valve to 3 pt valve replaced it with a hose with male-female couplers in the middle of it. $408 for a JD power beyond kit for my Deere vs $125 for the hoses and couplers.I run a JD 48 hoe with Woods subframe mount as my hoe had no mounts for the tractor. In my opinion it works just fine and much less cost than JD mounts.By the way if my JD dealer was right mounts for 3320 and 4300 were the same.You need mounts for a medium frame tractor if you pursue this.