JD4700 hydraulics are jerky/shuddering

/ JD4700 hydraulics are jerky/shuddering #1  

dmccarty

Super Star Member
Tractor
JD 4700
Last summer I was running the tractor and noticed that the FEL was jerking/shuddering when being raised. The tractor needed engine oil/filter, coolant and hydraulic fluid/filter changes so I parked the tractor until I had time to do the work. Work was requiring seven day work weeks over the summer and early fall so the tractor had to wait until now. :eek: The tractor has sat since unused this summer and fall.

I just changed out all of the before mentioned fluids including the hydraulic oil and filter. The shuddering is still happening with the FEL, 3PH, and even the bucket operations. I have a 4n1 and opening or closing the bucket shudders but not as bad as raising the FEL.

When I changed the hydraulic fluid and filter I clean the screen in the housing under the tractor as well. The only thing odd was a bit of clear/gray goo on part of the filter screen. There was not much of it and it did not cover the screen.

I ran the tractor today since it was in the mid 60s but the jerkiness was still present. I have alway used JD fluid.

The shuddering is more obvious with lower RPMs. Running at PTO speed it is not as obvious.

I did not check the fluid to see if it had bubbles today. DUH. Should have looked. The fluid level is fine.

Is there some place that could have a restriction effecting the FEL, bucket, 3PH?

How the heck do you find a leak that allows air into the system?

I sure hope I do not need a new pump. :eek:

Thanks,
Dan

/ JD4700 hydraulics are jerky/shuddering #2  
You should check all of the hyd input hoses and fittings, and re-tighten , or replace if necessary.

Use a hyd gage and check the pressure.

Use a flashlight and check in the tank for bubbles with the tractor running, and notice if the bubbles stop appearing with engine shut off.

/ JD4700 hydraulics are jerky/shuddering
You should check all of the hyd input hoses and fittings, and re-tighten , or replace if necessary.

Use a hyd gage and check the pressure.

Use a flashlight and check in the tank for bubbles with the tractor running, and notice if the bubbles stop appearing with engine shut off.

Hoses and fitting is a great idea. Did not even think of that as a problem. Easy to to do.

Looking for bubbles is going to be iffy due to the location of the fill opening but a couple of mirrors might work.

Where in the heck do you get an affordable gauge? Most of the kits are thousands of dollars and the cheapest was almost $400. Not getting why these kits are that expensive. For the price, JD can make a service call. :)

Thanks!
Dan

/ JD4700 hydraulics are jerky/shuddering #5  

Attachments

• !HYD  GAGE QD.jpg
    !HYD GAGE QD.jpg
    242.5 KB · Views: 272
  • !Hyd test set.JPG
    !Hyd test set.JPG
    344.4 KB · Views: 274
   / JD4700 hydraulics are jerky/shuddering #6  
hows the fluid level?

DJ and JJ.

Thanks of the link and photos. I saw gauges at Northern for at most $20. The kits I was seeing online had a few gauges and some connectors. Connectors can be expensive but not that expensive. :laughing:

I was wondering if I could just get the gauge and a section of hose. Just like you two suggested. :D

Thanks!
Dan

hows the fluid level?

Yes. Unfortunately.

It rained all day today. Tomorrow only a 30% chance so hopefully I can check fittings and see if I can see into the hydraulic oil tank. It might take a mirror or two but I have a mirror or two. :D

Then the gauges if needed.

Later,
Dan

I checked the rear hydraulic connections and they were all fine. I took out the pressure relief value and since it was gunky looking. I cleaned it up but it made no difference.

With two mirrors and a flash light I looked into the hydraulic tank with the engine running and off.

With the engine running I saw the fluid moving. I would not say I saw bubbles. I certainly did not see foam or small bubbles.

Running the engine and moving the FEL, hydraulic top link and 3PH quite a bit, I did not see any obvious bubbles or foam. Turned off the engine and I did not see any either.

Next I disconnected the FEL hydraulics and ran the engine again. The 3Ph still was jerking/shuddering.

The earliest I can get a pressure gauge setup will be this evening or Friday.

If air is NOT getting into the system, what would be the problem? The pump?

Later,
Dan