JD790 vs Kubota B3350

/ JD790 vs Kubota B3350 #21  
BTW, I paid $10,000 for the JD790, a 5' mower, post hole digger, and fertilizer spreader in 2008. It had 64 hours. Times have changed.

/ JD790 vs Kubota B3350 #22  
I owne a JD 990 which is the big brother to the 790. They are all Yanmar which is a very good tractor. They are bullet proof, simple to work on. Yes they are a collar shift transmission, no HST or synchro type. Collar shift is what I grew up on. If there would be anything I would like to change would be to make the transmission a Synchro and add some more lift capabilitiy on the FEL. I think my 990 is max at around 1700#. I have an 8B BH as well. I love the tractor. It runs like clockwork. The Yanmar engine just purrs. All kinds of power as well. Also no electronics to go wrong! And no tier 4 hardware.

The 790 link that was posted looks like a really sweet machine with very low hours. We probably have all heard that used car prices have risen 40%. My guess is that is the same with used tractors as well.

My vote would be the 790 over the Kubota by what everyone is saying which you have already said you were going to skip the Kubota. However maybe you can find something else that would meet your needs better. I am guessing that the picking is not so prevalent and easy during these these days of lockdowns and mandates.

Rob

/ JD790 vs Kubota B3350 #23  
And the only reason I’m interested in the 3350 is that it seems like it would have a lower COG, i have some pretty steep land.

I thought that too when I was shopping four years ago. The dealer wouldn't sell me one, they were already having problems with them.

I ended up with a Branson 3725 with rear axle spacers and the slightly smaller wheels and tires off a Branson 3520. Rear tires filled with Rimguard. It's significantly wider than the 3350 would have been (or an L3901 for that matter) but no higher. It's very stable on our steep slopes. The larger size, weight and loader capacity have been really useful. I would not consider a B3350 size machine now.

The emissions equipment issue on the 3350 would nix it for me. Even if they claimed it's fixed and you'd be operating it in a hot climate. A lifetime warranty won't save you from having to haul the thing to the dealer and have it sit there waiting weeks or months for parts if it fails.

/ JD790 vs Kubota B3350 #24  
I have more land now and needs for more capability so it wouldn’t suit my needs. But years ago I wanted a 790 or 990. Such a simple and bullet proof machine.

/ JD790 vs Kubota B3350 #25  
The 790 is a solid machine. I have had one for about 5 years now. I installed the shim pack to boost the hydraulic pressure and it will lift as much as I can offset with ballast in the back.

The tractor is a workhorse and many will say it is one of the most bulletproof green tractors ever made.

/ JD790 vs Kubota B3350 #26  
I installed the shim pack to boost the hydraulic pressure and it will lift as much as I can offset with ballast in the back.
How long have you been using it with the shim pack? I have thought about doing that with my 990 but I am hesitant not wanting anything to break since it increases the pressure for the whole system.

/ JD790 vs Kubota B3350 #27  
How long have you been using it with the shim pack? I have thought about doing that with my 990 but I am hesitant not wanting anything to break since it increases the pressure for the whole system.

I installed it within the first year I had the tractor. I don’t feel like I have come close to hurting anything but like everything you do with your tractor you need to factor in good judgement so that you don’t break anything.

/ JD790 vs Kubota B3350 #28  
Those older JD/Yanmar collar shift tractors are on their way to being classics. The last of the old-fashioned low maintenance and reliable compacts. Try it. If you don't like it you won't lose much. But my bet is you will keep it.

/ JD790 vs Kubota B3350 #29  
Those older JD/Yanmar collar shift tractors are on their way to being classics. The last of the old-fashioned low maintenance and reliable compacts. Try it. If you don't like it you won't lose much. But my bet is you will keep it.
I fully agree with you. They are like the tractors my father had which you find most of them still being used today. They are bullet proof and easy to work on and straight forward. When you add the Yanmar diesel you really get a good thing. My 990 I will keep until I can no longer use it because of my age or maybe drop dead. Then my son will take it with no problem. It does all I need and more too and it has already paid for itself and more too and I am going to guess if I sold it today I would get more than I paid for it. It is a keeper. And its all paid for too.

/ JD790 vs Kubota B3350 #30  
I installed it within the first year I had the tractor. I don’t feel like I have come close to hurting anything but like everything you do with your tractor you need to factor in good judgement so that you don’t break anything.
How many shims did you use? What was the pressure before you added the shims and what is the pressure now?