Jerusalem Artichoke

/ Jerusalem Artichoke #1  

forgeblast

Elite Member
Tractor
John Deer 318
Planted 5 Jerusalem Artichoke roots to see if they would grow. I now have a bushel of Jerusalem Artichoke sitting in my basement.
Any good recipes out there, any favorite way to cook them?
thanks in advance.

/ Jerusalem Artichoke #2  
You do know about the gaseous qualities of this fine tuber, don't you? :laughing:

They are one of, if not THE MOST gas producing things you can put in your body. Be prepared! They store a carbohydrate called inulin instead of starch. Inulin is hard for some folks to digest. From Wikipedia... quotes the English planter John Goodyer on Jerusalem artichokes: "which way soever they be dressed and eaten, they stir and cause a filthy loathsome stinking wind within the body, thereby causing the belly to be pained and tormented, and are a meat more fit for swine than men." :licking: :licking: :licking:

With that said... I love the things. I eat them raw like a carrot, shred them up in a salad, or slice them up in stir fry like water chestnuts. My grandma would shred them and use them in place of potatoes in potato pancakes.

Link to full wiki article...
Jerusalem artichoke - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

/ Jerusalem Artichoke
Haha thanks. I guess the dogs will not be getting any left overs from them.
Have you ever had the relish that some people make from them?

/ Jerusalem Artichoke #4  
Sounds like you need to add Beano to your shopping list.

Chuck

/ Jerusalem Artichoke #5  
Down here we make artichoke pickle, which is more of mustard based relish. We put it on butter beans and just about any other vegetable. It is great on a hotdog or a sandwich. My wife and her sister put a good many jars every fall. We give them for Christmas gifts. I know, sounds very quaint, but trust me, its good stuff.

Never gotten gassy from it, but I have heard that before. I wonder if the pickling process helps with that?

The sun choke, as it is known in Europe, is used in many Italian recipes.

/ Jerusalem Artichoke
Thanks, It was actually watching a south carolina farming show where they showed a guy making artichoke pickle that made me want to plant them. Ill google some recipes thanks again.

/ Jerusalem Artichoke #7  
I hope you never have cause to try to remove them. From my fathers experience you'll probably need a tactical nuke.