Jinma 254 wont start after running fine.

/ Jinma 254 wont start after running fine. #21  
the fact that a jumper cable allowed for starting...tells me the positive battery cable is probably shot. personally if it were mine id measure cord and get a replacement from napa or such.

/ Jinma 254 wont start after running fine. #22  
I'm not so sure. He stated that he jumped from the positive of the battery to the small terminal on the solenoid and it worked. That would bypass the key switch and associated wires but the positive battery cable would still be in play. IF he had jumped from the battery to the LARGE terminal on the solenoid, that would bypass the tractor battery cable.
But then it didn't work the second time, so there is that wrinkle too.
Of course the positive cable could be "nearly shot" and a weak connection in the key switch to solenoid circuit could make the whole thing flaky at best.
Wish I were there to see the actual situation... 10 minutes with a multi-meter and a good pair of jumper cables could reveal a lot.
I would also like to see the inside of that solenoid.

/ Jinma 254 wont start after running fine.
I want to update everyone, and thanks again for all the replies, this is really a great group of people on this site. I was getting frustrated and moved on to another project for a few days, painting an outboard motor!

I have the tractor running now, I basically started replacing everything electrical with the starting system, I was pretty sure it was a grounding issue even though I tested everything with a volt meter and it all looked good. I did get it started once or twice with jumper cables, but it would not consistently start. I have a new battery and replaced the battery cables, thoroughly cleaned the ground connection, replaced all the bolts and it started consistently. The ignition switch is still not working but I plan on replacing that wiring also. At least now I am mowing. I still have an overheating issues but that will be another post if I cannot figure that out!

Thanks again for all the help!!!