Jinma 284 4x4 problem

/ Jinma 284 4x4 problem #1  

JP 284

Tractor
2005 Jinma 284
I've been reading about the Jinma 4x4 issues while trying to understand what was happening to mine... the front and rear splines, balls, retainers and axle hubs were perfect, yet I was also experiencing the 4x4 dropping off under load. When I lifted the front end off the ground using the FEL, when turning either wheel by hand, the differential action was intermittent (most of the time, only 1 wheel would turn, not both and not engaging the drive axle which should always be in mesh) but would sometimes engage and drop out. The telltale clicking sound made me think either the pinion or crown (or both) were stripped in certain places making it so intermittent.
So, I decided to dig further - I removed the top differential cover to investigate and much to my great surprise, I discovered both planet gears and both differential side gears had stripped teeth accounting for the loss of engagement.
I've only had this tractor a few weeks and I knew when I bought it there was the dropping 4x4 issue... I suspect the P.O. was hard on this little tractor!
So if anyone else has a similar problem, this is certainly worth looking into if the normal issues are not present.
I'd also like to know if anyone else has encountered these broken gears - I've ordered all the parts and will remove the front differential soon; it will be an interesting repair! - with no shop manual or reference to preload figures.

Attachments

• IMG_0983.JPG
    IMG_0983.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 136
  • IMG_0985.JPG
    IMG_0985.JPG
    2 MB · Views: 129
  • IMG_0986.JPG
    IMG_0986.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 120
  • IMG_0987.JPG
    IMG_0987.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 127
   / Jinma 284 4x4 problem #3  
Ouch! Something bad happened there. I've got 800 hours on my 2006 284, most of it 4X4 and some if kind of harsh with no issues except some leaking seals.
Take a look here: Harnerfarm Jinma 284 the file labeled operation manual has some good info in it even if it is a little hard to follow. I think what you are looking for starts at about page 25. Feel free to download any of the files you find there and keep or distribute as you see fit. I lay no claim to them.

Your bearings will warrant a close look if there was a lot of debris floating around in there. It may have even worked its way out to the outer wheel drive gears. Hopefully not. The fluid looks pretty good. No telling what started it all at this point. As soon as something gets jammed up, nothing good ever comes from it. Sounds like you are on the right track, keep us informed of your progress and take lots of pictures!

My experience with the 284 is that it is a tough little tractor even if a little crude. Quality control is hit and miss but then again we didn't pay extra for the paint color! A little TLC here and there coupled with good maintenance will let them deliver more that what they cost. A few bucks or a little effort on some things will greatly improve them and make the tractor all that more useful. Things like a new loader valve with float and power beyond or a switch upgrade or converting to better lights all add up for the user but the basic tractor is still there.

/ Jinma 284 4x4 problem
Ouch! Something bad happened there. I've got 800 hours on my 2006 284, most of it 4X4 and some if kind of harsh with no issues except some leaking seals.
Take a look here: Harnerfarm Jinma 284 the file labeled operation manual has some good info in it even if it is a little hard to follow. I think what you are looking for starts at about page 25. Feel free to download any of the files you find there and keep or distribute as you see fit. I lay no claim to them.

Your bearings will warrant a close look if there was a lot of debris floating around in there. It may have even worked its way out to the outer wheel drive gears. Hopefully not. The fluid looks pretty good. No telling what started it all at this point. As soon as something gets jammed up, nothing good ever comes from it. Sounds like you are on the right track, keep us informed of your progress and take lots of pictures!

My experience with the 284 is that it is a tough little tractor even if a little crude. Quality control is hit and miss but then again we didn't pay extra for the paint color! A little TLC here and there coupled with good maintenance will let them deliver more that what they cost. A few bucks or a little effort on some things will greatly improve them and make the tractor all that more useful. Things like a new loader valve with float and power beyond or a switch upgrade or converting to better lights all add up for the user but the basic tractor is still there.
Piper,
Great comments and that link is very cool! Documentation is hard to find for these tractors.
Agreed the 284 is well built and yes, quite crude but for a tractor, it will certainly do the job!
I intend to replace all the bearings as well - as you noted, there's no doubt debris may have entered sensitive places.
Yes I do plan to post the complete diff rebuild with hopes someone else may benefit some day.
In addition, the P.O. also removed the complete shuttle shift mechanism... and chose to weld the original shuttle handle directly to the shift pawl which gets in the way of the left brake pedal and park brake lever... another project which I will also document. The only possible issue I see is how the cable routes along the right side... I know it goes down either above or below the FEL bracket and I will figure it out - I was hoping someone who had a 284 with shuttle could shoot me a quick pic of the cable routing; the rest looks pretty straight forward.

JP

/ Jinma 284 4x4 problem #6  
Tommy, As the owner of a FarmPro 2420 (and I've gotten parts from you in the past), is there anyone anymore who sells these Chinese (or the like) hobby tractors anymore. I see on your webpage even that you don't have any there too. Is this a "thing" where we won't see anymore Chineseium tractors anymore ?

Thanks

/ Jinma 284 4x4 problem #7  
Keno Tractor is bringing some Jinma Tractors in with the Perkins engine, we have a used 254 With Koyker Front end loader we just put a brand new engine in. Northern Tool is bringing in Foton tractors from25 hp - 80 Hp .The EPA Has caused alot of price increases as well as the 25 % Tariff, where you can get a Kubota with a loader for about the same money as a Jinma , but the Kubota will have a 3- year to 5 year warranty

They were just doing specials here in Texas for a 25 Hp 4 x 4 Tractor, loader, box blade , shredder, and 20'- tandem trailer for $ 19,900.00

Tommy
Affordable Tractor Sales
"Your Jinma Parts Superstore"
www.affordabletractorsalesco.com
979-865-4002