Jinma 284 fuel leak and rad leak

/ Jinma 284 fuel leak and rad leak #11  
Finding leaks can be tricky. Generally liquid will only flow down not up, but it can flow sideways for quite a ways. What I like to do is clean the area around the leak as well as I can, then press a paper towel over the general area. What you want to do is catch the liquid where it first comes out and get it to leave a mark on the paper towel. If you think you have the spot move the towel around and up to make sure you're right.

My bet is it's the rubber hoses for both leaks, they have a finite life.

/ Jinma 284 fuel leak and rad leak #12  
UPDATE: No real issue in the location that I anticipated - turns out that the fuel filter was just a bit loose and was dripping all over the lines below, injectors, etc...
However - I did notice the immediate line out of the tank is cracked and seeping slightly - doesn't look like too much loss, but it's something. I've attached a photo here. What's the procedure for replacing this line?

In terms of the coolant - I tightened up the hose clamp and will see if it holds - if not I'll just get a replacement hose. It doesn't appear that there's a crack in the elbow or anything, just seeing loss at the location where the hose meets the elbow.
That is the return line from the fuel system to the tank, it won't have much pressure on it while in use and can easily be changed out as long as the fuel level in the tank is below the fitting level. It should be easy enough to get a replacement hose from any Jinma dealer, but you can also cut the crimped on ferrule and put a new hose on as Bob explained. I may have some pictures somewhere on how to do that. I have done it with the banjo fittings (like the ones where the hoses go to the fuel filter) and it worked just fine. The end that screws into the fuel tank may or may not be a metric fitting. Only way to know for sure is to pull it out and check.
Sounds like you are doing fine figuring things out. Let us know if you have any questions or need to see any pictures or parts diagrams.

/ Jinma 284 fuel leak and rad leak
Finding leaks can be tricky. Generally liquid will only flow down not up, but it can flow sideways for quite a ways. What I like to do is clean the area around the leak as well as I can, then press a paper towel over the general area. What you want to do is catch the liquid where it first comes out and get it to leave a mark on the paper towel. If you think you have the spot move the towel around and up to make sure you're right.

My bet is it's the rubber hoses for both leaks, they have a finite life.
Thanks!

That is the return line from the fuel system to the tank, it won't have much pressure on it while in use and can easily be changed out as long as the fuel level in the tank is below the fitting level. It should be easy enough to get a replacement hose from any Jinma dealer, but you can also cut the crimped on ferrule and put a new hose on as Bob explained. I may have some pictures somewhere on how to do that. I have done it with the banjo fittings (like the ones where the hoses go to the fuel filter) and it worked just fine. The end that screws into the fuel tank may or may not be a metric fitting. Only way to know for sure is to pull it out and check.
Sounds like you are doing fine figuring things out. Let us know if you have any questions or need to see any pictures or parts diagrams.
Thanks a bunch - I'll keep updating as I go!

OK so it looks like this line goes directly to injectors. The other end looks very similar connection-wise

Attachments

• image_67206657.JPG
    image_67206657.JPG
    2.8 MB · Views: 81
   / Jinma 284 fuel leak and rad leak #16  
OK so it looks like this line goes directly to injectors. The other end looks very similar connection-wise
Yes, actually it's coming from the injectors. Notice that it connects to the top of the injector, and is daisy-chained to the others. This is the injector leak-off line that returns fuel to the tank. There is never any pressure in this line because there is no restriction at the tank. Sometimes, as it should be, the fuel return from the injection pump to the tank is also routed through this line via the #1 injector. These are not unit injectors so there is no circulating fuel.

/ Jinma 284 fuel leak and rad leak #17  
Some digging revealed that the return line is all one piece from the injector pump, to the daisy chain on the injectors to the fitting for the tank. See it here: Y385T-6-10400 (Fuel return line across each injector) | Jinma Tractor Parts, Farm Pro Tractor Parts | Circle G Tractor Parts. It is $50. Knowing that they are available, I would definitely attempt to replace just the portion that runs from #3 injector to the tank. Procedure is to cut off the crimped metal cup where the rubber hose meets the metal fitting. A Dremel tool with a cut off wheel should make short work of it. If you don't have that, you probably will have to remove the entire assy and put it in a vise and use a hacksaw to carefully cut off the crimped cup. Once that is out of the way, you can carefully cut a slice in the hose lengthwise to release it from the barbed fitting that it is sure to be stuck in the hose. Then gentle twisting and prying should free the hose from the fitting. Once it is off clean up any debris on the barbed fitting with steel wool or your favorite abrasive pad. At this point all you need to do is get a piece of fuel hose the proper inner diameter and length. Slide on a couple of worm screw type hose clamps and push the hose onto the barbs. Tighten clamps and fire up the tractor and watch for leaks