Jinma 284 no front wheel drive

/ Jinma 284 no front wheel drive #1  

billbill1

Veteran Member
Tractor
2016 Mahindra 1533 Shuttle AgKing 2840 shuttle shift
I don't have any front wheel drive, I haven't checked it out at all, there doesn't appear to be any unusual noise. Is there a shear pin somewhere? Where should I start looking? Thanks

/ Jinma 284 no front wheel drive #2  
Two likely reasons, engage/disengage linkage, or fwd shaft itself. The lever is typically attached with a roll pin, which has been known to break. So check first to see if the lever is actually moving the rod or cable to which it's pinned. If cable, check both ends. Drive shaft is typically spring loaded with steel balls making the actual connection on both ends. If for some reason those balls fall out, the shaft quits spinning on one end or both.

//greg//

/ Jinma 284 no front wheel drive #3  
What Greg said. Probably the driveshaft though. There is a disc/washer that holds the ball bearings in proper place inside the cup. That washer is held in place by a snapring in a groove on the splined shaft. Those snap rings sometimes break, probably from driving over rough terrain, then the washer shifts. this lets the ball bearings out from between the cup and shaft and no more 4WD. It is an easy fix and the outer tube case should have contained all the ballbearings. Just be sure you are over a smooth clean surface when you disassembe so you don't loose any of them as you take the outer case/tube off. If you have to do it in the driveway, put a tarp under the area so you don't loose any...

/ Jinma 284 no front wheel drive
Thank you, I'll check it out.

What Greg said. Probably the driveshaft though. There is a disc/washer that holds the ball bearings in proper place inside the cup. That washer is held in place by a snapring in a groove on the splined shaft. Those snap rings sometimes break, probably from driving over rough terrain, then the washer shifts. this lets the ball bearings out from between the cup and shaft and no more 4WD. It is an easy fix and the outer tube case should have contained all the ballbearings. Just be sure you are over a smooth clean surface when you disassembe so you don't loose any of them as you take the outer case/tube off. If you have to do it in the driveway, put a tarp under the area so you don't loose any...

The snap rings were broken on both ends, waiting for parts from Tommy @ Affordable Tractor. Thanks for the help

/ Jinma 284 no front wheel drive #6  
Glad you found it. Assembly hint: Bearing grease can help hold the balls in place around the shaft when you re-assemble the shaft components.

Good Luck.

I did in fact use heavy grease to hold everything in place. Back together and all is good again thanks to Affordable tractor for help with the parts and you guys for the advice.