Jinma 354 Built Better?

/ Jinma 354 Built Better? #1  

RidgeHiker

Gold Member
Tractor
Kioti DK5010 with KL5510 Loader & 72" Bucket. Kawasaki Mule Pro MX SE with 66" snow plow.
We are looking at a 2006 Jinma 354 with about 200 hours from an original owner. Doing a title search under Jinma I was a bit blown away by how many threads were from owners with hydraulic problems, 3 point hitch problems, and other problems. Most of them were 200 series but perhaps that is just because there are more of them??

Are the 354's built any better? Less problems?

/ Jinma 354 Built Better? #2  
These forums are mostly for people with problems so that is what you're going to see. Not too many people take the time to post that have no problems.

That said, the earlier Jinmas (and most all Chi8nese tractors) have more issues than the later ones. They keep getting better and better as the consumer demands more. No matter what though, they are somewhat primitive technology and do require maintenance to work right. They're very strong little tractors that give good service for the money.

/ Jinma 354 Built Better? #3  
The Jinma 300 series is indeed stouter (than the 200 series) in every way/shape/form. If you equate it to the current John Deere compacts for example, it would be like comparing a 3520 to a 2320.

//greg//

/ Jinma 354 Built Better?
These forums are mostly for people with problems so that is what you're going to see. Not too many people take the time to post that have no problems.

I thought about that also and did the same search for other brands. I did not find the continuous stream of problems with the other brands I searched.

/ Jinma 354 Built Better? #5  
Another thing to consider is the demographic. The people that usually purchase the Chinese "crate" tractors are first time tractor owners/operators and aren't that familiar with the prep work, adjustments, and operation that is involved, so that often gets ignored or poorly done at best (I'm not saying all). I think this issue has become prominent in China's attempt to improve it's brand names, and less "crate" tractors are being offered as a result.

/ Jinma 354 Built Better?
Thanks All for your help!!!
We decided not to go for the Jinma.

/ Jinma 354 Built Better? #7  
I just recently traded my jinma 354 in on a ls s3010 I owned the jinma for 3 years. In that time I had it in the shop 3 times resulting in 1500.00 bill each time. This time when I took it in it was going to be around 2500. I decided to cut my losses. The jinma was bad for me. I'm sure some have had luck with them but length of ownership doesn't mean much hours is what it boils down to and when I got rid of mine it had less than 300 hrs hoping the ls does better for me heard a lot of good things about it

/ Jinma 354 Built Better? #8  
In that time I had it in the shop 3 times resulting in 1500.00 bill each time. This time when I took it in it was going to be around 2500. I decided to cut my losses.
Pretty extreme example. Sounds either like a crooked shop, or the wrong tool for that job; that is, an undersized tractor. If 35 heavy Chinese horsepower can't stand up, how do you think 28hp light Korean hp is going to do any better? Instead of paying $7000 for repairs to an over-worked tractor, why not put that money up front and simply get a larger machine that's more suited to whatever you use it for? An unfortunate number of folks have the mistaken idea of what a tractor of any given size can and can't do.

//greg//

/ Jinma 354 Built Better? #9  
Pretty extreme example. Sounds either like a crooked shop, or the wrong tool for that job; that is, an undersized tractor. If 35 heavy Chinese horsepower can't stand up, how do you think 28hp light Korean hp is going to do any better? Instead of paying $7000 for repairs to an over-worked tractor, why not put that money up front and simply get a larger machine that's more suited to whatever you use it for? An unfortunate number of folks have the mistaken idea of what a tractor of any given size can and can't do.

//greg//

I have to agree with Greg on this. I am an owner that purchased a crated tractor and have had next to no problems with it so far. What problems I have had are: a couple of small electrical one, one steering knuckle plate failurre (my fault due to improper initial adjustment) and a couple of roll ppins. That is it so far.
I have found that the fuel injection system benifits greatly with the use of fuel treatment - I recommend Power Service. With winter diesel (sometimes called artic diesel) there is a tendency for injector needles to stick in operation - power service seems to correct that nicely. I found this out this past winter when I developed symptoms of injector problems and the additive fixed it for me. The very fine tolerances for fuel injection equipment is compromised without adequate lubrication and the ULSD does just that IMHO, resulting in operational problems.

Let's not bash the Chinese too much as they do put out a product that works and works well. But, there must be proper maintenance and repairs - along with a fair amount of mechanical knowledge, to be able to own and use a Chinese tractor successfully.

Thx

/ Jinma 354 Built Better? #10  
I just recently traded my jinma 354 in on a ls s3010 I owned the jinma for 3 years. In that time I had it in the shop 3 times resulting in 1500.00 bill each time. This time when I took it in it was going to be around 2500. I decided to cut my losses. The jinma was bad for me. I'm sure some have had luck with them but length of ownership doesn't mean much hours is what it boils down to and when I got rid of mine it had less than 300 hrs hoping the ls does better for me heard a lot of good things about it

I also agree with Greg. Any chance that you bought your new tractor from the place you took your Jinma for repairs?