Joh Deere 1948A

/ Joh Deere 1948A #1  

Haylough

Tractor
Kubota3410 John Deere A
Hi all, say I have a 48 A that is not hitting or firing on one cylinder, is this an easy fix or do I possibly have a blown cylinder? Could it be a timing issue or any opinions will help. Wires to spark plug are working (hand tested that):laughing: Thanks for ideas.

/ Joh Deere 1948A #2  
The a was an old "two lunger". I'm not sure it would run on one cylinder. If it did I can't imagine what it might sound like. The old two lingers always sounded like they were missing and on there last leg when everything was working good so to run on only one cylinder is a stretch for me to comprehend. You said the wires are good, might try putting plugs in it. If that don't help, maybe do a compression test. Perhaps you lost compression on that one cylinder.

/ Joh Deere 1948A
It sounds fine, It just wasn't pushing as much air through the pet cock when it is running, as the other piston pushes out. Trying to sell it, and the potential buyer said they do run on one cylinder its just that they don't have the normal power. So he said let me kow when you get it hitting on both cylinders.

/ Joh Deere 1948A #4  
Phillip w: Yes, the A will run on one cylinder.. not well, but will run.

Might suggest getting some compression test numbers to decipher the problem.

/ Joh Deere 1948A #5  
Phillip w: Yes, the A will run on one cylinder.. not well, but will run.

Might suggest getting some compression test numbers to decipher the problem.
Well, you maybe right, but I have never seen it. I had an old 730 diesel (a two lunger) and when it got weak, I had to overhaul the motor. It may have been hitting on one cylinder and I didn't realize it. Can't say for sure.

/ Joh Deere 1948A #6  
When hitting on one cylinder, you know it without a doubt. :D

Comes from personal recall of working with the A, B, G, H, AR, D, 50, 60, 70, 420, and model LA

Love that 2-cyl sound..