John Deere 1020 died while driving

/ John Deere 1020 died while driving #1  

kastenj68

Tractor
John Deere 1020 Gas
I have a John Deere 1020 Gas that died while driving it home. It has been sitting in a shed for more then 10 years. It ran fine for about 6 to 7 miles then just slowly came to stop. Tried to crank it over and it wont do anything but clunk. I thought maybe the hydraulic pump locked up but I took the coupler apart and that wasn't it. Motor still will not turn over. Now I am thinking something in the transmission has it locked up. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated! Thank you

/ John Deere 1020 died while driving #2  
Put range and gear levers in neutral, and see if it cranks. I am guessing the transmission is not the problem. They are pretty simple/bullet proof.

/ John Deere 1020 died while driving
I ended up putting them in neutral and pulling it home with no problem there. It will not crank with everything in neutral. Just clunks. I put a bar on the coupler and it will not turn at all. Unless the engine locked up. It never got hot at all. I changed the oil in it before I ever started it. Never made any noise in the engine either before it just died.

/ John Deere 1020 died while driving #4  
Welcome to TBN

Does it turn over with the starter and the clutch "depressed" (tranny disengaged) and tranny in neutral?

"Slowly came to a stop" meaning the engine lugged down from a load on it? or:
Did the engine continually lose power and would not keep running with the clutch depressed?
Did the engine sputter like it was out of fuel?

Give a better explanation what "clunk" means pls. Does the engine turn over when trying to start it, or do you just hear a "click"?

How is the battery power?

/ John Deere 1020 died while driving #5  
Did you check to be sure engine oil level is at the full mark? Depress traction clutch pedal will eliminate trans from being the reason crankshaft won't rotate

The engine just lugged down like it was under a load. When it started to lug down I pushed the clutch in and it didn't make any difference. It just lugged down and died. It has brand new battery in it. Its more of a clunk like the starter cannot crank it over. If I put it in gear and try to pull it, it only drags the tires and the engine does not turn over. Like I said it ran good and all of the sudden that was it

/ John Deere 1020 died while driving #7  
That helps, and sounds like engine related.

When trying to pull it, need to put in a higher gear or the rear wheels will just slide in a lower gear in case you didn't know.

I put it in the highest gear its got and it will not turn it over at all.

/ John Deere 1020 died while driving #9  
Then suspect internal engine problem, sorry to say and have to consider.

Drain the engine oil and inspect it for any metal debris.. and hope that there is still oil in it and it is like new oil as you said you changed it. Pls keep us informed.

I will see what I find and I will keep everyone updated. Thank you all for your input!!!!