John Deere 1025R, low oil level in 54D mmm deck gear box

/ John Deere 1025R, low oil level in 54D mmm deck gear box #1  

Clockit

Tractor
2021 JD1025R, 2010 JD X500, 1994 JD LX172, 2000 JD JS63
Last summer I picked up a new John Deere 2021 1025R with a 54D MMM. Since I have a dedicated mower, I mostly use the 1025R for the bucket and the Artillian grapple. However, I did use the 54D mower deck last fall and clocked an hour or so of use before the season ended.

For the winter, I removed the deck and stored it in the upright position. This spring I noticed a silver dollar sized spot of oil on the rubber mat which was under the unit. I pulled the fill plug and checked the oil level, and there was less than 1/8" of oil in the gearbox.

Unless the rubber mat absorbed several ounces of gear oil, I can't figure out where all of it went. Also, doesn't it seem like that much leakage through the vent is excessive?

Has anyone else had this happen, what were your findings? Is there a way to prevent the vent from leaking, or a better way to store the deck?

/ John Deere 1025R, low oil level in 54D mmm deck gear box #2  
When you say upright, what position? My 62D doesn't leak from the vent when stored with the front edge up. Maybe it was always low.

/ John Deere 1025R, low oil level in 54D mmm deck gear box
1650654926741.png

Thanks for the reply, Kenny G. I don't have any pictures of mine in storage, but here's a promo pic from Tractor Time with Tim's video that shows a storage position similar to mine.

Last edited:
   / John Deere 1025R, low oil level in 54D mmm deck gear box #4  
Should not leak in that position. I'd just refill and use it, checking once in awhile.

/ John Deere 1025R, low oil level in 54D mmm deck gear box #5  
Agree with KennyG - if you don't know if it was full to begin with, you don't really know how much you lost. I'd just fill it, check the fill level before you put it away next winter, and then see how much, if any, you really are losing over the winter.

obviously if you fill it now, and it's low when you check it before storing it next winter, then you most likely have a leak somewhere.

/ John Deere 1025R, low oil level in 54D mmm deck gear box #6  
I store mine in the same position as pictured and it WILL leak from the vent. I just take the vent out and put in a plug for while it is stored and change back to the vent when used. I also keep the vent stored on the gear box in a plastic bag so I don't forget to switch.