John deere 1070 electrical

/ John deere 1070 electrical #1  

dennisj73

I was hoping that one of you could assist me with an electrical issue.

I have a 1070 with an electrical problem. A few weeks ago, I tried to start it and nothing happened. Clicked but no startng. I took the battery to the Interstate battery and got a blem. Put it in and the tractor started right up.
Unfortunately the posts didn't fit and I had to return it and get a brand new one. I put the new one in and it started right up. A few days later I drove it up to the woods and it wouldn't start again. Turn the key, the lights on the dash came on...nothing. I walked back and jiggled the ignition and it started up.

Drove it back parked it. Tried to start it a couple days ago...nothing light would come on, wouldn't turn over. I tried jumping it nothing...it was kind of funny when I was jumping it(i had it hooked up correctly) sometimes when I turned on the key, the lights on the dash wouldn't even come on.

I've pulled the battery and am charging it, but just sitting shouldn't discharge a brand new battery. I'm fairly convinced that it is not a battery issue. I'm wondering about the ignition switch. Your help would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks
DJ

/ John deere 1070 electrical
I also removed cleaned and reinstalled the ground for the battery.

/ John deere 1070 electrical #3  
I'm going to admit that I am no electrical wizard...

But, I'd have your alternator checked out...sounds like that might be your problem. The 1070 has a few years on it now and your alternator may be getting tired.

/ John deere 1070 electrical #4  
I would get it running and then pull a bettery terminal. If the motor stops, you are not generating power OR the power is not getting through.

I have replaced the voltage regulator (on the dash panel) twice on my 1070. One of the terminals gets very hot and melted the plastic housing and base. I suspect its because the terminal clip was loose and that caused a resistance problem.

If it will run on the battery, check the voltage coming off the alternator positive terminal.

/ John deere 1070 electrical #5  
Did you clean the cable ends when you installed the née battery I have had this happen couple times there will be a film that builds up on the ends the lead looks dark usually the light will work but it won't start not even click may not be the problem just a thought

Thank you for you kind replies. The tractor has less than 600 hours on it, but I will be getting the alternator checked. Cleaned the terminals and even took the negative cable off where it was connected. One of the things I think that I will check is the ignition switch. Any thoughts on the ignition or neutral shift switch?

Thanks!

/ John deere 1070 electrical #7  
Thank you for you kind replies. The tractor has less than 600 hours on it, but I will be getting the alternator checked. Cleaned the terminals and even took the negative cable off where it was connected. One of the things I think that I will check is the ignition switch. Any thoughts on the ignition or neutral shift switch?

Thanks!

If it was the neutral safety switch, your lights would come on.
Possibly in the ignition switch, but I suggest you do the least disassembly you can first (meaning, the alternator...how's the belt look? Tensioned correctly?)

If it was the neutral safety switch, your lights would come on.
Possibly in the ignition switch, but I suggest you do the least disassembly you can first (meaning, the alternator...how's the belt look? Tensioned correctly?)

Thanks will do!

/ John deere 1070 electrical #9  
I just experienced the same problem.
A. Starter would not engage. Solinoid "click" did not occur when key turned to "ON" position.
B. No lights no blinkers NOTHING

Step 1. Checked battery and charged it.

THEN: B resolved and I heard a horrible ratcheting noise instead of starter turning over engine. Also sparks from lower right front.(nowhere near starter which is left rear of engine). I haven't determined the exact source of sparks yet, but anticipate a trip to dealership for closer look. The alternator is on the left also and does not look affected. How did you resolve your issue?

/ John deere 1070 electrical #10  
still sounds like a bad ground to me