John Deere 110 loader backhoe surging in fwd and reverse

/ John Deere 110 loader backhoe surging in fwd and reverse #1  

fishinfool

Working on a JD 110, symptoms: unit "surges" in both fwd and rev when pedal applied, occurs at all speed setting, warm and cold operating temps, 700 hrs on machine. Does not appear to be engine related, rpm remains constant.
Replaced both hyd filters, serviced the suction screen, new fluid, correct level- no difference.

Unit is on a remote ranch, limited diagnostic tools, no code flashing on the panel when this occurs.

Any suggestions of what to look for would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

/ John Deere 110 loader backhoe surging in fwd and reverse #2  
Might be the speed sensor needs replacing. At any rate some of the guys that have had similar issues will be along and have a better answer for you. I have not had any issues like that in 1400 hours so don't feel knowledgeable about it. Good luck with it.

/ John Deere 110 loader backhoe surging in fwd and reverse #3  
Do you have access to the Technical Repair Manual? There are several tests you can run with a voltmeter to check the forward and reverse proportional solenoids. It's not likely that both of them could have gone haywire at the same time but not impossible.

Some 110 owner's have reported similar problems that you described and the problem was the engine speed sensor. Of course, the test procedure for that is also detailed in the TRM.

The Tech Manual can also be purchased from Deere on CD. Either through your dealer or on-line.

AKfish

/ John Deere 110 loader backhoe surging in fwd and reverse #4  
On mine it was Deere part number LVA17409 Flywheel Sensor.

I'm hesitant to recommend it because the last time it did not fix the problem... :-(

So only 3 fixes out of 4 attempts...

/ John Deere 110 loader backhoe surging in fwd and reverse #5  
Do you have access to the Technical Repair Manual? There are several tests you can run with a voltmeter to check the forward and reverse proportional solenoids. It's not likely that both of them could have gone haywire at the same time but not impossible.

Some 110 owner's have reported similar problems that you described and the problem was the engine speed sensor. Of course, the test procedure for that is also detailed in the TRM.

The Tech Manual can also be purchased from Deere on CD. Either through your dealer or on-line.

AKfish

Larry,
One thing I like about the 110 and 4520 is that so far I haven't needed the repair manuals. That said I am going to order all of them next time I go to the dealer. Hope I don't need them anytime soon.

/ John Deere 110 loader backhoe surging in fwd and reverse #6  
Larry,
One thing I like about the 110 and 4520 is that so far I haven't needed the repair manuals. That said I am going to order all of them next time I go to the dealer. Hope I don't need them anytime soon.

(Knock on forehead..). I haven't really needed the repair manual for anything very serious, either. Leaky oil seal on the 4x4 transfer case front driveline and a bad O-ring on the diverter valve. Movin' up on 1,500hrs with the 110. Hoping that the 4720 will be just as reliable.

AKfish

/ John Deere 110 loader backhoe surging in fwd and reverse
Thanks all, for input.

Flywheel speed sensor was the culprit.
unplugged and it worked fine, ran it for awhile and noticed that under load, (pto driven mulcher/mower) will bog the engine if pushed too hard.
I assume the F/W speed sensor will detect engine rpm drop and back the pedal input off automatically (?)
anyway bought a new sensor, installing it this weekend, will report if anything else to report

cheers!

/ John Deere 110 loader backhoe surging in fwd and reverse #8  
Appreciate the follow up... 110 owners have to stick together!

I know I had the awful feeling when mine exhibited the same and a call to the Dealer made the feeling worse.

Thankfully, the sensor issue I read about on TBN had me back in business.

/ John Deere 110 loader backhoe surging in fwd and reverse #9  
Anyone know where I can locate the flywheel sensor? Some say it's on the bell housing on the right hand side but all I can find there is a port in the side with twp pigtail plugs.

/ John Deere 110 loader backhoe surging in fwd and reverse #10  
Try looking at the 110 in jdparts.com and under alphabetical see Sensor, sender, flywheel. Might help identify what you are seeing. This one it says is for engine speed. That part # is LVA11184