John Deere 2020

/ John Deere 2020 #11  
How many drain plugs did you remove for draining? There are 2. One is on right side near lower draft link, and the other is further forward and in the center of the case. Probably should be between 7 and 8 gallons. Also I was thinking about your pto problem. Can you feel 2 stages as you push in the pedal? There are 2 styles of pedals on 2020 depending on serial number. one has 2 holes in pedal where adjustable link connects. If you have 2 holes, install the adjustable link in the hole furthest from the pivot pin. If you have the single hole version, there is an adjustable bracket that limits how far the pedal comes up in the released position. Make sure to loosen the bolt in the bracket and then pull the pedal back as far as it will go. this is proper position for dual stage clutch. tighten bolt in this position. If you can post pictures, I can help determine if it is correct if my description is not clear.

/ John Deere 2020
I didn't see the drain plug back by the draft link...thanks. I am not exactly sure what you mean about the clutch adjustment. The pedal is held in the full back position by the return spring. I adjusted fork length to where I have about a quarter inch of swing at the clutch shaft lobe on the side of the bell housing. Mine is a single hole clutch pedal. I don't notice 2 stages when I push the clutch. I have not hooked up my brush hog and attempted what another forum member suggested on how to free up a stuck pto clutch. Looking for how to upload a photo. Thanks

Last edited:
   / John Deere 2020
20201231_091148.jpg

/ John Deere 2020 #14  
Does your 2020 have hyd reverser? Hyd reverser clutch linkage in parts catalog is the only type that I see that has the slot similar to your photo. After more thought I think your tractors version of arm(key 3) isn't shown as a photo in PC.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2020-12-31 090708.png
    Screenshot 2020-12-31 090708.png
    196.9 KB · Views: 140
  • Screenshot 2020-12-31 091305.png
    Screenshot 2020-12-31 091305.png
    186.6 KB · Views: 126
   / John Deere 2020 #15  
In your picture, which you took from the "inside" looking "out", you can see the end of the bolt (not the head) to the left of the clevis. You can also see part of the slot the bolt goes through. So, if you loosen the bolt, as jd110 said, you will be able to pull back on the clutch pedal, then tighten the bolt.

/ John Deere 2020 #16  
Does your 2020 have hyd reverser? Hyd reverser clutch linkage in parts catalog is the only type that I see that has the slot similar to your photo. After more thought I think your tractors version of arm(key 3) isn't shown as a photo in PC.

Jim, IIRC, that adjustment was for non reverser tractors, doing loader work, when a lot of clutching was done and no need to disengage the PTO clutch. It shortened the clutch pedal travel.

/ John Deere 2020 #17  
Zebrafive
I agree I'd just forgotten. Danged Old timers was engaged!

/ John Deere 2020
In your picture, which you took from the "inside" looking "out", you can see the end of the bolt (not the head) to the left of the clevis. You can also see part of the slot the bolt goes through. So, if you loosen the bolt, as jd110 said, you will be able to pull back on the clutch pedal, then tighten the bolt.

That did it! I can feel the second stage. Thanks. I can't run it right now to check it out due to other repairs/maintenance going on. Why is there not a pin to prevent slippage of the pedal. It seems like it potentially be an ongoing point of adjustment.

/ John Deere 2020 #19  
If the PTO clutch has not been used in long time it may be stuck and not disengage.

/ John Deere 2020
If the PTO clutch has not been used in long time it may be stuck and not disengage.
I would say that is likely the case. I engaged the pto lever, fully depressed the clutch and tried turning the pto shaft...didn't turn. Guessing that I will have to use the method outlined by other members to free it.