John Deere 2040 Hydraulic leak

/ John Deere 2040 Hydraulic leak #1  

Moto101

Tractor
John Deere 2040
My JD 2040 is leanking hydraulic fluid from the base of the steering column. Any idea why fluid would be leaking out at the base and what do I need to do to stop it?
Thanks

/ John Deere 2040 Hydraulic leak #2  
If your 2040 has a 3 cyl engine is serial # below or above 266,750? Below has open-center hyd's & above has closed-center hyd's. Where exactly is it leaking? It sounds as if it's leaking at gasket where valve housing bolts to clutch housing? If so it's possible hyd oil return galley is clogged. Are the attaching bolts tight?

/ John Deere 2040 Hydraulic leak
If your 2040 has a 3 cyl engine is serial # below or above 266,750? Below has open-center hyd's & above has closed-center hyd's. Where exactly is it leaking? It sounds as if it's leaking at gasket where valve housing bolts to clutch housing? If so it's possible hyd oil return galley is clogged. Are the attaching bolts tight?
Tx Jim,
Its leaking at the base of the steering column. I will check the bolts and ensure that they are tight. The oil return galley is located under the column?

/ John Deere 2040 Hydraulic leak #4  
Power steering oil return is a galley in clutch housing that goes back to trans case

/ John Deere 2040 Hydraulic leak
Jim is there a way to check to see if it’s clogged. I just drained and replaced the hydraulic fluid, cleaned the screen and replaced the filter.
I just bought this tractor a few months ago and I’m thinking that I made a mistake in buying it,
Thank you

/ John Deere 2040 Hydraulic leak #6  
Only method for checking power steering return galley for obstruction is to remove PS housing & utilize compressed air blowing in galley. In all my yrs associated with JD utility tractors I don't remember seeing that galley clogged but there's always a 1st time. Is your tractor below or above serial # 266,750????????????

/ John Deere 2040 Hydraulic leak #7  
TxJim, is this galley from the chamber with the side cover on the right of the clutch housing? Or internal, at the gasket surface where the steering column mounts?
My 2030 has drain plug for the chamber, but I think that was removed for the 40 series.

/ John Deere 2040 Hydraulic leak #8  
According to my memory & TM4300 for 2040 the PS return for both open & closed center hyd's is in the base that PS housing attaches where the 5th hole is the gasket is located.

/ John Deere 2040 Hydraulic leak #9  
I am thinking the chamber below the column that has the removable cover is supposed to be partially full of oil to lube the shaft the steering arm bolts to. At the upper level is passage for excess oil to flow back to the sump. My 2030 has drain plug to drain this chamber.