john deere 24t baler

/ john deere 24t baler #1  

haymow

Tractor
m f 135
i live in new zealand, recently bought an australian assembled john deere 24 t baler sold new jan 1969 good order, apon inspection by removing small plate on top gearbox i find tooth galling on first input gears, certainly usable, is this often found? also plunger noisy and shudders when turning corners,i am a mechanic and drive line and drawbar set properly, have checked this, any thoughts ideas gratefully sought:)

/ john deere 24t baler #2  
:welcome: to TBN
I can't comment on gear galling. Is drawbar set at 14'' to center of hole from end of pto shaft? Since 24T was built before JD's introduction of the "equal angle hitch" or CV joints the pto driveline will tend to vibrate in sharp turns. Have you checked for excessive clearance between plunger head & PH guides?

/ john deere 24t baler #3  
While I dont have one I looked into the model for my small compact tractor. They are well made and easy to survice. Your plunger either needs bearings, or rails or both and adjustment. The JD service manual is excellent, so I would get one. Not sure what the difference a down under model would be from a US one, but it cant be that different. The good thing is back then a lot of things were standard like bearing sizes etc.

BTW how are the knives and knotters? You should be able to repair, but if not is there a baler bloke than can help? I have a repair man that is mobile I can call for issues - cheaper than hauling it in. I can do my own service, but I am not spanner inclined.

Hope this helps

/ john deere 24t baler #4  
powerscol;4358143 Your plunger either needs bearings said:
JD 24T only has wear pads on PH but no brgs. I agree a SM is a good asset.

/ john deere 24t baler
JD 24T only has wear pads on PH but no brgs. I agree a SM is a good asset.

thanks tx jim i respect your advice, thanks powercol for your help visited wisc 2008 stayed 6 weeks on 70 cow dairy farm clark county really like you usa people, good friendly, salt of the earth types............did john deere publish an actual service manual for the 24t machine?? i do have an operators manual i like the auger and bum scratcher feed system, on john deere, ihc, and oliver balers,in my humble opinion, better bales than a new holland engage a lump and throw in front of plunger feeder, only my fifty cents worth.............

/ john deere 24t baler #7  
If I was going to use a JD 24T to bale hay I'd attach a short chain to the bridges(parts key 15) on PH so if attaching bolt(parts key 18) broke bridge would not get lost in hay field. I still remember selling bridges to farmers that lost them in the field and they were a lot cheaper back in the 60's-80's than today
E18887 Support - SUPPORT, ADD 186.34 USD
2 ea-E15459 Pad - PAD, ADD 55.23 USD
total 296.80

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    60.5 KB · Views: 1,746
   / john deere 24t baler #8  
I bought a well used JD 530 (5x6) round baler once and it came with a drawbar extension. No CV joints on that machine. Along with that haying operation I was running another well used JD product, a 1209 swather (mower conditioner). It didn't have a CV joint either. It too made a heck of a racket in tight turns.

One day I got to looking at the drive line on it and the baler and had the idea to put the drawbar extension on the baler too. Worked like a champ. It allowed me to make perfectly square corners when cutting my hay patch with little vibration.

Apparently it was JD's answer to a CV joint. In reading up on CV joints, vibration is caused when the drive and driven shafts aren't rotating at the same rpm. Sounds crazy, but the article went through the physics of a drive/driven combination at angles other than zero...Made a lot of sense. The CV joint ensures that they travel at the same speed and that's due to identical angles which the extension provided for the implements mentioned. However......contrary to all that I was puzzled at what I just said that I read because the length of the drive shaft on the baler was much shorter than the moco and I used the same JD PN extension. So in theory the angles were different because the lengths from the tractor to the 1st U joint vs the length of the implement's drive shaft were different. But whatever it was it worked and that is what I wanted.

So I went down the road to the local used equipment dealer and he had a used JD extension for $50. So I had both rigs with a quiet drive line.

Food for thought.

/ john deere 24t baler #9  
I bought a well used JD 530 (5x6) round baler once and it came with a drawbar extension. No CV joints on that machine. Along with that haying operation I was running another well used JD product, a 1209 swather (mower conditioner). It didn't have a CV joint either. It too made a heck of a racket in tight turns.

The reason the JD Mo-Co driveline made racket while turning is because you didn't have JD's equal-angle installed and drawbar adjusted to correct length of 14'' for 540 pto speed from center of drawbar hole to end of tractor pto shaft. With equal angle hitch installed correctly and everything else correct the driveline will not rattle.

/ john deere 24t baler #10  
The reason the JD Mo-Co driveline made racket while turning is because you didn't have JD's equal-angle installed and drawbar adjusted to correct length of 14'' for 540 pto speed from center of drawbar hole to end of tractor pto shaft. With equal angle hitch installed correctly and everything else correct the driveline will not rattle.

The "equal angle" hootus to which you are referring must have been that drawbar extender that I was talking about. As stated, once I added that I had no more problems. I didn't have a manual at the time and twas before the advent of the www. Again, I found it odd that it quieted the baler and moco and both had different length pivot points on the shaft.