John Deere 250 Skid Steer won't start

/ John Deere 250 Skid Steer won't start #1  

macecase

Bronze Member
Tractor
1965 John Deere 3020 Diesel and 1975 John Deere 4630 Diesel
I have a John Deere 250 Skid Steer. It has worked great for many, many years. The motor always fires up even in 20 degree weather.

I parked it after using it one day and filled it from my 100 gallon transfer tank. The diesel in that transfer tank was more than a year old but has been fueling my tractor and skid steer with no issue.

I went to start it and had no luck one day. I replaced the battery and have had zero luck.

I changed the fuel filters and both air filters. The fuel pump is able to pump and has good pressure/flow. I cracked the lines to the injectors and get zero fuel.

I don't want to replace the injector pump because I feel it is probably working. I have a nagging feeling that the fuel had junk it it that passed the filter (like algae) or something like that. And, maybe it is blocked on it's way to the injector pump. Or, possibly, blocked up the injector pump.

How would a guy go about fixing it from this point? Any thoughts and suggestions or do I just need to get another injector pump and get it done?

/ John Deere 250 Skid Steer won't start #2  
I’ve seen on here before that some injection pumps have a screen where the inlet fuel ties into the pump. Don’t know if yours has this or not.
Does it do anything when you turn the key - crank but doesn’t start, click or does nothing?

/ John Deere 250 Skid Steer won't start
I致e seen on here before that some injection pumps have a screen where the inlet fuel ties into the pump. Don稚 know if yours has this or not.
Does it do anything when you turn the key - crank but doesn稚 start, click or does nothing?

I hope there is a filter before the injection pump. I'm sure it is clogged if so. Anyhow, it does crank.... just doesn't kick. Seems like fuel is missing.

/ John Deere 250 Skid Steer won't start #4  
Highly unlikely anything got by the filter. Before suspecting injrctor pump,make certain there's good flow "AFTER" filter and/or where fuel enter's injector pump. Look at that and report back.

/ John Deere 250 Skid Steer won't start #5  
only time my deere does not run its been the fuel shutoff solenoid, mine you lift the seat, when the key is turned it should energize

/ John Deere 250 Skid Steer won't start
Highly unlikely anything got by the filter. Before suspecting injrctor pump,make certain there's good flow "AFTER" filter and/or where fuel enter's injector pump. Look at that and report back.

Good logic.

I will do so and let you know. I know there is good flow to the water separator filter as fuel pours out of the bottom of it when I loosen the drain and turn the ignition key to energize the fuel pump.

And, I know that no fuel is getting to the injectors. So, it must be between the filter and the injectors...

Will see what we I can do about getting access to the injector pump and disconnect the fuel line going TO it and see what I got.

Will report back; might be a few days.

Thanks.