John Deere 3038e Rear Axle Outer Seal Loose

/ John Deere 3038e Rear Axle Outer Seal Loose #1  

DKCDKC

Platinum Member
Tractor
John Deere 3038E
My 2012 3038e appears to have a solid flat disk as the outermost seal on the rear axle. It has loosened and seems to expose an inner seal. There is no leaking of hydraulic fluid or anything. The part appears to be a single flat washer-like piece with no threads anywhere and, I guess, should snap fit into the axle housing. I can find no parts diagram that shows this part exactly - but the diagrams are unclear. I believe it might be part number LVU19404. It's position around the axle close to the flange that holds the wheel makes it difficult to push back. Has anyone had this happen? Is it a serious matter requiring immediate repair? How do you reseat the part? Is it something a medium skilled owner can do? I'd appreciate any advice.

/ John Deere 3038e Rear Axle Outer Seal Loose #2  
It's a dust shield that protects your fluid seal. It would be best to have it in place long-term so dirt doesn't get under that fluid seal and abrade your axle which would cause a permanent leak. You may be able to get creative with multiple wooden wedges such as the ones used for hanging doors backed up by a piece of dimension lumber or prying carefully with an appropriate sized pickle fork to re-seat it, or you can take the hub off so you have some room to work.
If it's not staying in the machined ID designed to accept it, you can carefully use a small pin punch and go around the inside ring of the dust seal and deform (expand) it very slightly so it's more snug in the recess designed for it -of course if you need to go this route you have to take the hub off

/ John Deere 3038e Rear Axle Outer Seal Loose
It's a dust shield that protects your fluid seal. It would be best to have it in place long-term so dirt doesn't get under that fluid seal and abrade your axle which would cause a permanent leak. You may be able to get creative with multiple wooden wedges such as the ones used for hanging doors backed up by a piece of dimension lumber or prying carefully with an appropriate sized pickle fork to re-seat it, or you can take the hub off so you have some room to work.
If it's not staying in the machined ID designed to accept it, you can carefully use a small pin punch and go around the inside ring of the dust seal and deform (expand) it very slightly so it's more snug in the recess designed for it -of course if you need to go this route you have to take the hub off
Good suggestions. I'll play with it this weekend. I even thought of deliberately winding a wire around it to force it in, but decided not.