John Deere 345/Kaw FD590V

/ John Deere 345/Kaw FD590V #1  

roadrner71

Tractor
JD345 & 1964 Cub Cadet 10hp
I recently bought a 96 JD345 with 566 hours that I'm pretty sure probably still has the plastic cam gear in it. I'm going to replace the water pump which started leaking and while I've got the engine out will replace the cam gear. My question is are the cam gears the same for all the FD590V's It appears they are from what I can find. Mine is a FD590V-AS04 which for some reason doesn't show up on the parts sites. Seems to jump over that one. The cams I find will not it show it for the AS04. Also I see a cam kit being sold on ebay which includes all gaskets, cam, tappets, governor gears, etc and valve springs. Have not found anything as to why the valve springs should be replaced when the cam is changed and wondering if that is something that was a problem also. Thanks for your help!

/ John Deere 345/Kaw FD590V #2  
I don't recall about the different versions of the FD590V, but it seems like it was pretty easy to get the part that fit. It's been 3 or 4 yrs since I did the job on mine. I will suggest changing the oil pump gear when you do the cam. After I did the cam I got about 5 hrs and the oil pump gear went to pieces. So everything came back apart a second time.

/ John Deere 345/Kaw FD590V
Thanks! I will definatly do that. The pump gear is very inexpensive and don't want to pull the engine again over a $5 part.