John Deere 4020 GAS generator issues

/ John Deere 4020 GAS generator issues #1  

mjp9348

Tractor
john Deere 4020 GAS
Hi everyone, I am posting just to get some ideas on where to start the diagnosis on this generator issue . This was my grandfathers tractor , it sold at auction , and today I found it and purchased it back . The guy who owned it told me , he replaced the battery , the points to electronic ignition , new battery cables . Now a year ago this tractor never had a genny issue , you would start it up and at idle the genny light would be on until you gave it gas then it would go off and stay off . The guy I bought it from said during the last 9 , 10 months he has had it and doing the work he did , he said sometimes it wont shut off and sometimes it works like it should , but when it wont shut off , he jumps the genny to excite it to charge . Now I watched him do it , but the light would come back on a minute later . I think it maybe time to clean , maybe rebuild the genny , but I am unsure , if anyone has any ideas or suggestions I would love to hear them on how to address this issue . 12V system

/ John Deere 4020 GAS generator issues #2  
Since you state it has been converted to electronic ign. has the battery been converted to negative ground?

/ John Deere 4020 GAS generator issues #3  
Check clean and adjust the voltage regulator