John Deere 430 Diesel

/ John Deere 430 Diesel #1  

billlh

I had a flat tire last year, and I pulled the front wheel off by removing the dust cap and the C clip holding the wheel on. I'm reasonably sure when I put it back together I got the C clip fully in the slot. in the spindle. Well yesterday I pulled the tractor out of the building made a hard turn and the wheel popped off the spindle and the spindle buried itself in the ground. Fun time getting it jacked up and the dirt cleaned out thoroughly. So my question is did I somehow stretch the clip too far when removing it and it now won't hold any more? if so and I get a new one what's the best way to install it so I don't overstretch it. I was thinking of using a socket to just push it on with a hammer. I have a socket that looks like it would be a perfect size. I'm guessing there is no way to fix the clip I have? I guess the proper name for what I have is Circlip

Last edited:
   / John Deere 430 Diesel #2  
Yes, you have to be careful when you take those off, spread them just enough to get them off, and no more. You might be able to bend it back, but I would get a new one for it, just to be safe.

/ John Deere 430 Diesel #3  
I don't know what you did or your specific parts but a circlip will frequently have a couple holes to be used with special pliers to spread them just enough for removal. An E clop is similar but lacks the holes. It is usually popped off and on.

/ John Deere 430 Diesel
I don't know what you did or your specific parts but a circlip will frequently have a couple holes to be used with special pliers to spread them just enough for removal. An E clop is similar but lacks the holes. It is usually popped off and on.
It's a Circlip, and yes I used them, problem is I think I stretched it too far. So I need a new one. What I really need is to find a good way to put it on without overstretching it. I'm thinking maybe tapping it on with a socked and a hammer. Looking for any thoughts on this?

Last edited:
   / John Deere 430 Diesel
Yes, I used Snap Ring Pliers to remove it. But I think I over-spread the clip, I ordered a new one, looking for the best way to put it back on without ruining the new one. Was thinking of trying to pop it on with a socket the right size and a hammer? I'm thinking I shouldn't over-spread it then? Really don't want a repeat performance of the wheel coming off and the axel burying itself in the ground.

/ John Deere 430 Diesel #6  
You should use the snap ring pliers to put it back on. Just spread it only enough to get it started over the axle and into the groove. I've never had a problem with mine, and I've had them off several times with no problems.
You risk bending or twisting the snap ring if you try to drive it on with a socket.

/ John Deere 430 Diesel #7  
Yea use the clrclip pliers and open the clip just enough to get it on. Don't twist it.

There's a right direction and a wrong direction to install the circlip. Since it's stamped out of sheet, one side has sharp edges and the other side has rounded edges. Install it so the sharp edges are on the side that the circlip is getting pushed towards. In this case that'd be on the outside.

/ John Deere 430 Diesel
Yea I thought it was weird that I over-stretched it too. I'll try to carefully put it on in the right direction. I kind of knew that but not sure if I paid attention when I put it back on as to the sharp side out. Live and learn I guess, thanks for the replies. In my defense, I'm sure it was pretty dark in there when I put the wheel back on cause it was winter I was in a rush cause it was cold too. I'll be a lot more careful this time.

/ John Deere 430 Diesel
So thought I would give an update, I got the new Snap Ring a few days ago and put it on earlier today. The old one was indeed stretched and it must be why it wouldn't stay on. I have no idea how I managed to stretch this thing. But the new one is on and I mowed with it for quite some time and all is well again. There was quite a difference between the two rings and the one I took off really was stretched a lot. Again no idea how I managed to do that to the Ring, but I guess the first time for everything. Like to thank E for his suggestion to put the ring on with the sharp edges to the direction the ring is being forced to. Not sure if it really matters but it does make sense.