JOHN DEERE 4430 LOAD CONTROL SHAFT

/ JOHN DEERE 4430 LOAD CONTROL SHAFT #1  

cdupuy

Tractor
MF 135, John Deere 4430
Hello all, i have a JD 4430 that is leaking hydraulic fluid around the load control shaft. I removed the load control shaft, pictures attached. I am guessing that i need to buy a new shaft because of the ridges on the old shaft. The ridges are not deep, but may be enough to cause a leak. I am thinking that i will just replace the seals # 18, and #19 and not replacing the bushing #20. the bushing looks tight in the transmission housing. I really don't want to try to drive out bushing #20. what do you think?

also, is it critical to replace the #15 bushing, and #16 snap ring on the yoke #9? there is quite a lot of play between the load shaft/pin and the bearing in the yoke.

thanks for the help. Carr

Attachments

• load shaft leak.jpg
    load shaft leak.jpg
    390.1 KB · Views: 224
  • load shaft support.jpg
    load shaft support.jpg
    356.4 KB · Views: 150
  • load shaft tapered.jpg
    load shaft tapered.jpg
    263.7 KB · Views: 155
  • load shaft.jpg
    load shaft.jpg
    250.8 KB · Views: 171
  • pin pics.png
    pin pics.png
    22.5 KB · Views: 199
  • support pic.png
    support pic.png
    41.2 KB · Views: 265
   / JOHN DEERE 4430 LOAD CONTROL SHAFT #2  
Welcome to TBN
I agree shaft appears worn enough to require replacement. I was taught when i served as a JD dealer service manager to replace L/D shaft bushings only if showing some significant wear. Do you pull heavy 3 pt hitch loads? If not I personally would not replace frt bushing/pin(items 10 & 11).

My JD 4255 that I purchased used in Feb '93 when it was 1.5 yrs old has original frt bushing & pin. I've replaced L/D seals twice & my 4255 with 11,600+ hrs has pulled it's share of heavy loads(6X14 moldboard & 24 ft integral field cultivator) plus pulling rd baler to bale over 125000 rd bales

/ JOHN DEERE 4430 LOAD CONTROL SHAFT
thanks TX Jim. what does L/D shaft/bushings mean? i am not that good at acronyms.

i do not pull heavy 3 pt loads, mostly pull heavy drawbar loads- 11 ft. disc, 15 ft shredder. This may not be considered heavy loads.

I am ok with not replacing items 10 & 11. what about items 15 & 16 on the same drawing?

thank you!

/ JOHN DEERE 4430 LOAD CONTROL SHAFT #4  
L/D=load & depth. L/D bushinngs are item 20 in the 1st parts diagram you posted. Item 15 & 16 are bushing & bushing retaining snap ring that is located in drawbar support that load & depth shaft fit in. I don't remember ever seeing enough wear to replace them but check for excessive wear before reassembly

Attachments

• Screenshot 2022-05-18 052447.png
    Screenshot 2022-05-18 052447.png
    6.1 KB · Views: 82
Thanks tx Jim, I appreciate your willingness to share your expertise.

/ JOHN DEERE 4430 LOAD CONTROL SHAFT #6  
You're welcome. Answering questions about tractor & equipment problems helps keep my aging brain functioning(y)

/ JOHN DEERE 4430 LOAD CONTROL SHAFT #7  
I agree with TxJim, do not to replace the bushings (key 20) in the transmission case. R&R of these bushings can cause the transmission case to be damaged = more expensive problem.

I received my load shaft, load shaft seals, and o-rings. i heated the shaft seals in hot water before I installed the seals. heating the seals made installation fairly easy. with the load shaft oiled, the installation of the shaft was easy too. thanks for all the help.

/ JOHN DEERE 4430 LOAD CONTROL SHAFT #9  
Congratulations on your successful repair & thank you for update
Jim