John Deere 4520 Compact Tractor Error code 59

/ John Deere 4520 Compact Tractor Error code 59 #1  

Rich1963

Tractor
4520 Compact Tractor
I had a bad instrument cluster no rpm, temp or fuel gauge stuck on 2004 John Deere 4520 Compact tractor. The hour gauge/ mph was the only thing working. I purchased new instrument cluster form local John Deere Dealer for just over $1k. Now I getting Error code 59 which I believe is VIN code not programmed. How do I program the VIN code in the Instrument cluster?

/ John Deere 4520 Compact Tractor Error code 59 #2  
Take the tractor to the dealer. They have the equipment to diagnose and program the ECU.

/ John Deere 4520 Compact Tractor Error code 59 #3  
I had a bad instrument cluster no rpm, temp or fuel gauge stuck on 2004 John Deere 4520 Compact tractor. The hour gauge/ mph was the only thing working. I purchased new instrument cluster form local John Deere Dealer for just over $1k. Now I getting Error code 59 which I believe is VIN code not programmed. How do I program the VIN code in the Instrument cluster?
Yes, that is exactly what err_59 means....the Vin in the ICC doesn’t match the TCU. I think only the dealer can set that using Service Advisor. I would think 1 hour of labor should cover it.

/ John Deere 4520 Compact Tractor Error code 59 #4  
I purchased new instrument cluster form local John Deere Dealer for just over $1k.

And the dealer should have made that setting when you purchased the cluster. Or at least explained what was needed.

/ John Deere 4520 Compact Tractor Error code 59 #5  
And the dealer should have made that setting when you purchased the cluster. Or at least explained what was needed.
That’s a fair point depending on how he ordered it. If he just told the guy at the parts counter what he needed, and they ordered it, then it’s just the way it goes. If they ordered it, and installed it, well that would be irritating.
It would have to be installed on the tractor for them to configure it.

/ John Deere 4520 Compact Tractor Error code 59 #6  
Just to educate myself I looked this Err 59 up in my maintenance CD for my 2006 4320. There is Err 59/ Vin and when it is corrected it may lead to an Err 75 then maybe Err 76 and lastly a Err 77. The Vin needs to match between the tractor chassis, HST controller, and display. From what I read there is no correcting the VIN thru the display. This needs to be done at the dealer and the dealer should have known that he would need the the instrument cluster installed in the tractor to program the display.

/ John Deere 4520 Compact Tractor Error code 59 #7  
I too had same issue as Rich1963. Ordered new cluster from JD and installed. Tractor ran, but flashed CONFIG, in the readout. Contacted JD, they could not, at the time, connect to my tractor. Finally the new cluster locked up w/ front pto always on, not able to start tractor. JD tech showed up,could not talk to cluster. He installed a used cluster just to see if he could connect. He could, but not able to download 3120 config. Now get Err 59 and fuel shut-off solenoid not pulling in. Is this due to Err 59?

/ John Deere 4520 Compact Tractor Error code 59 #8  
Ms09366
Welcome to TBN.

Can't answer the question, but hope someone can chime in with some help. Sounds very frustrating.

/ John Deere 4520 Compact Tractor Error code 59 #9  
I too had same issue as Rich1963. Ordered new cluster from JD and installed. Tractor ran, but flashed CONFIG, in the readout. Contacted JD, they could not, at the time, connect to my tractor. Finally the new cluster locked up w/ front pto always on, not able to start tractor. JD tech showed up,could not talk to cluster. He installed a used cluster just to see if he could connect. He could, but not able to download 3120 config. Now get Err 59 and fuel shut-off solenoid not pulling in. Is this due to Err 59?
We're looking at 4520 as well with the error code. We'll see if it will also need a new cluster.