John Deere 47 snow blower chute blowback

/ John Deere 47 snow blower chute blowback #1  

Spud67

Tractor
John Deere 2320
Hi all. It has been some time since I posted last but reading the forums has helped me in several situations.

I have an John Deere 47 front mount snow blower I use on a 2320. It has worked great for the past 10 years and moved lots of snow for us. We live in Southeastern Saskatchewan, Canada so we usually get a good dump of snow for the winters.
On the blower there was small foam pads that where stuck to the blower chute just under the back edge of the chute deflector. They usually stopped some snow from coming out of the back of the chute between the deflector and the chute.
Well those foam pads are long gone and I thought I should replace them so I have less snow coming out the back edge and building up on the back of the blower, on the front hitch and PTO shaft.
I could just go to the dealer and buy a couple more or find some self adhesive foam rubber and replace then but I was wondering if anyone has come up with a better idea than just replacing the missing ones with the same thing.

The part I am looking to replace with maybe something better is #14 in the parts list for the chute.

John Deere Parts Catalog

I have searched the forums but was not able to find anything.

Thanks to all forum members for the help I have received in the past. It was a great help when I needed ideas to add a linear actuator to the chute deflector, what a life saver and no more frozen cable to adjust the deflector.

/ John Deere 47 snow blower chute blowback #2  
OK - I looked and I don't see how its expected that those foam pads would last much beyond the first run where you will be blowing crusty, frozen topped snow or ice chunks off your driveway. Pads may be cute - but almost instant goner.

I'd look to a flap made of a wear resistant plastic - Hifax - or similar. Sufficient width and depth to cover the chute in all positions - held in place with a few stainless steel pop rivets. SS = less rust.

/ John Deere 47 snow blower chute blowback #3  
When I added a deflector to my chute about 15 years ago, I did like oosik says, only I used a piece of scrap truck mud flap. So that the pop rivets wouldn't pull through the rubber flap, I used a piece of sheet metal to cover the bottom part of the flap. Because my chute is round, I had to play around a bit with the shape of the flap so it would work right at the maximum deflection angle. It has worked well ever since...and it was cheap.

/ John Deere 47 snow blower chute blowback #4  
Truck mud flap is going to be a whole lot easier to find - probably work better also.

/ John Deere 47 snow blower chute blowback
Thanks guys.

Would it be possible to share a picture of your setup?

/ John Deere 47 snow blower chute blowback #6  
Here's a pic. Everything got painted when I rebuilt (and shrunk) the blower a few years ago. The upper edge of the sheet metal is rounded and extends a little beyond the end of the chute. The lower edge of the sheet metal extends well below the rubber flap so as to taper into the chute and not create a snow trap. The upper edge of the rubber extends above the sheet metal and is rounded to match the deflector when extended. I forgot that I had attached it with machine screws, not pop rivets.

Attachments

• Blower Chute Seal.JPG
    Blower Chute Seal.JPG
    936.9 KB · Views: 182
   / John Deere 47 snow blower chute blowback
Thank you herringchoker.
I should be able to come up with something like this. I know if I get the pads from the dealer, they will be gone again in no time.

Thanks again and take care.