John Deere 5103 02-04 no start

/ John Deere 5103 02-04 no start #1  

Pmp2220

Tractor
John Deere 5103 02-04
got a 5103 from my uncle it’s been sitting for a few years but he said it was running when parked but not well (don’t know what he meant by that)

He’s had a new injection pump within the past 4 years.

Have a new battery installed, pumped fuel priming bowl till I get fuel at injection pump. The fuel shut off solenoid isn’t clicking when key is on. But I can run a jumper from battery and hear it click. Cold start sensor is unplugged, and all fuses have been checked. But even with some squirt juice it still won’t fire up. Any ideas ?

/ John Deere 5103 02-04 no start #2  
You have a computer and /or electrical problem.
"Not running well when parked" sounds like a computer issue. The electronics can get out of adjustment and cause the engine to run/sound harsh. A reset will fix the problem.
On a 6910 that just cut out on the road, the problem appeared to be no fuel getting to engine.Had fuel to injector pump, but not to engine. Overhauled injector pump,ouch. Still no run. Actual problem was a dead module(not letting fuel into engine) in the computer, but computer still ran everything else. Replaced computer.
Good luck.

/ John Deere 5103 02-04 no start #3  
A 5103 with a computer controlled fuel system? When did that happen?

/ John Deere 5103 02-04 no start #4  
Harry in Ky, I had been told that the 5000 series had gone electronic due to tier 4.

/ John Deere 5103 02-04 no start #5  
got a 5103 from my uncle it’s been sitting for a few years but he said it was running when parked but not well (don’t know what he meant by that)

He’s had a new injection pump within the past 4 years.

Have a new battery installed, pumped fuel priming bowl till I get fuel at injection pump. The fuel shut off solenoid isn’t clicking when key is on. But I can run a jumper from battery and hear it click. Cold start sensor is unplugged, and all fuses have been checked. But even with some squirt juice it still won’t fire up. Any ideas ?
Been sitting a few years? You have fuel TO the pump (you're sure about that?) and the solenoid clicks with a jumper wire. Loosen at least one injector line on the back of the pump and crank it a few times. If nothing shows up you probably have internal pump problems that will require qualified attention. If you DO get fuel pulses then you need to try bleeding at the injectors next and hope the "it was running when parked but not well" issue was only a fuel supply problem and nothing serious.

/ John Deere 5103 02-04 no start #6  
Pretty sure a 5103 in the 03-04 vintage doesn't have a computer. It should have the same 2.9L 3cyl mechanical injection diesel as my 02 5220 -early versions no turbo later versions with turbo.

You've only got a few possibilities. Assuming the engine is complete and structurally sound, mechanical diesel engines need fuel (correctly timed) and compression.
You need to figure out if fuel is actually getting into the cylinders. I would start by cracking loose the tubing flare nuts on the pump end then the injector end of the injector tubes one at a time while cranking and look for fuel spraying out.
If that looks good do a compression test on each cylinder. If that looks good then follow the procedure for checking the injector pump timing.

/ John Deere 5103 02-04 no start #7  
Harry in Ky, I had been told that the 5000 series had gone electronic due to tier 4.
I've been told a lot things too, but the 5103 is at least fifteen years old. Tier IV hadn't been invented yet.

/ John Deere 5103 02-04 no start #8  
I'm not sure what of the fuel solenoid you have, but most have two coils, on to pull in the solenoid and the second one is the hold coil.

You have to have power to hold coil before you activate the pull in coil. The pull in coil only requires a momentary connection, not more than a few seconds. Any longer than that, you run the risk of burning out the pull in coil.

Richard

/ John Deere 5103 02-04 no start #9  
Also these motors didn't come with a lift pump and can lose prime. I would pull the fuel line at the base of the tank and make sure the outlet isn't clogged with crap and your line is good flowing all the way to the pump. Some models had check valves also that can clog

/ John Deere 5103 02-04 no start #10  
Info about tier 4:

Tier 4 requirements were phased in starting in 2008. By the time final Tier 4 regulations were fully implemented in 2015,

willy