John Deere 5103 02-04 no start

/ John Deere 5103 02-04 no start #11  
There's a high temp sensor / switch on top of the engine near the front. It screws into the water jacket and has a short pigtail with 2-wire modular plug. Try unplugging that to see if it makes any difference. I seem to recall that mine would run with that unplugged, but you might want to jump it just to be sure. It's worth checking.

/ John Deere 5103 02-04 no start #12  
There's a high temp sensor / switch on top of the engine near the front. It screws into the water jacket and has a short pigtail with 2-wire modular plug. Try unplugging that to see if it makes any difference. I seem to recall that mine would run with that unplugged, but you might want to jump it just to be sure. It's worth checking.

To elaborate . . . I shut mine off in the hayfield one nice sunny day and a few minutes later it wouldn't start. Would crank just fine but acted like it wasn't getting any fuel. I fooled around with the fuel pump and fuel line and fuel rail . . . Broke the flared end off the fuel line and had to remove that and reflare it . . . . For lack of anything else to try I unplugged that sensor and it fired right up just like it always did. I don't recall that I had to jump it either but not 100% about that. That was my problem the whole time.

Except for a dead battery, this is the only thing that's ever kept that tractor from starting on the first crank.

/ John Deere 5103 02-04 no start
I got was able to crack injector lines and got it to fire up for a about 30 seconds and then it shut back down and can’t get it to restart unless it lost prime again

/ John Deere 5103 02-04 no start #14  
I got was able to crack injector lines and got it to fire up for a about 30 seconds and then it shut back down and can’t get it to restart unless it lost prime aga

Did you check the fuel filter? Does fuel flow through the fuel line to the fuel filter free and clear?

What you're describing makes me think you might have "gunk" (technical term) in the fuel line. Have you taken the fuel line loose upstream of the fuel filter? Have you changed the fuel filter????

New fuel filters and blew out lines last week. From tank and to injection pump. But fuel was also setting for a couple years maybe didn’t get all the old fuel out on draining. Just wouldn’t imagine bad fuel causing this issue since there’s been 5 gallons of fresh added to it. Or gunk built up in the Injection pump over time

/ John Deere 5103 02-04 no start #16  
It ran for a short time so good news you can be fairly certain you narrowed it down to a fuel problem.

I had a tractor that had sat for a while and had a gravity feed line from the fuel tank -blew compressed air through fine, but turns out I couldn't blow through the line by mouth because the line had rotted internally and was collapsing on itself. Never would have guessed looking at the outside of the hose. New line fixed the problem.

It ran for a short time so good news you can be fairly certain you narrowed it down to a fuel problem.

I had a tractor that had sat for a while and had a gravity feed line from the fuel tank -blew compressed air through fine, but turns out I couldn't blow through the line by mouth because the line had rotted internally and was collapsing on itself. Never would have guessed looking at the outside of the hose. New line fixed the problem.
good idea, had not really thought of that could be starving the pump as to why I am able to run for a short period. will check that out. thank you!

/ John Deere 5103 02-04 no start #18  
One other thing to check now that u got it starting..
The 1st fitting coming out of the top cover..
It has a spring and glass ball in it.. if it gets clogged or stuck from dirt/rust, the engine will start and shut down, over and over and over..
The premise is: if u can’t get fuel OUT, u can’t get fuel IN..
and it shuts down..
Easy check is remove it from the system.. simply unscrew it and see if it stays running..
Fuel WILL flow out of the hole, (if the hoses are clear) so be prepared for that..
If it’s not a big deal, let it flow..
Good luck

It has a spring and glass ball in it.. if it gets clogged or stuck from dirt/rust, the engine will start and shut down, over and over and over..
and it shuts down..
Easy check is remove it from the system.. simply unscrew it and see if it stays running..
Fuel WILL flow out of the hole, (if the hoses are clear) so be prepared for that..
Good luck
Where exactly is this located

and it shuts down..
Good luck
wait are we talking first fitting as return line on injection pump?