John Deere 5320 Tractor Fuel Gauge problem.

/ John Deere 5320 Tractor Fuel Gauge problem. #1  

Kmicah40

Tractor
John Deere 5320, ‘56 Ford 601 (been in family since new), 2010 Kubota 900RTV, Cub Cadet 2284, Cub Cadet 2064
Okay guys hope someone can help me with this problem. The fuel gauge on my JD 5320 tractor quit registering fuel usage. Tractor has the 63hp Diesel engine. I replaced the fuel sending unit which did not help. When you turn the key and start the tractor the fuel gauge will go to full and it stays there until you turn off the tractor. As you all probably know the fuel gauge is part of the instrument cluster and to have it replaced I could buy a black angus heifer with a calf. If there is no way to repair the fuel gauge in the cluster has anyone every installed a fuel gauge outside of the cluster that will work. I just do not want to pay $700.00+ for a new instrument cluster.
Any help is much appreciated. Larry

/ John Deere 5320 Tractor Fuel Gauge problem. #2  
Maybe switch to recording hours between fuel fills and gallons pumped.. then chart the hours/gal or gal/hours.

Monitor the hour meter for when to fill the fuel tank.

/ John Deere 5320 Tractor Fuel Gauge problem. #3  
You can buy a fuel gauge and mount it and run wires to the sender

/ John Deere 5320 Tractor Fuel Gauge problem. #4  
Are you sure the wire from the cluster to the sender isn't damaged somewhere and touching ground? That would produce the effect you're having and you may not have a defective gauge at all.

/ John Deere 5320 Tractor Fuel Gauge problem. #5  
Okay guys hope someone can help me with this problem. The fuel gauge on my JD 5320 tractor quit registering fuel usage. Tractor has the 63hp Diesel engine. I replaced the fuel sending unit which did not help. When you turn the key and start the tractor the fuel gauge will go to full and it stays there until you turn off the tractor. As you all probably know the fuel gauge is part of the instrument cluster and to have it replaced I could buy a black angus heifer with a calf. If there is no way to repair the fuel gauge in the cluster has anyone every installed a fuel gauge outside of the cluster that will work. I just do not want to pay $700.00+ for a new instrument cluster.
Any help is much appreciated. Larry

Larry, My 2007 model 310 had the same symptom of a gauge going to max, but on mine it was with with the temperature gauge on the instrument cluster rather than the fuel gauge.
Other than that temperature gauge being maxed out, everything was working fine. I put a manual gauge sender onto the return hose just to make sure temperature was really OK. It was.

I was told down at JD that when a gauge goes to max like that it was because the voltage input to the engine computer had gone to zero, so the signal the EC sends to the gauge cluster is max. Things that could cause input to the EC to be zero it could be a broken wire from sender to EC, or it could be inside that expensive instrument cluster itself, but more likely it would be the engine controller computer (twice the price of the gauge cluster) - which is what mine was.

But I don't know if the 5320 even has an engine controller computer (EC). I guess I hope not, although when working they sure make the engine start & run smoothly.

I always liked the old float style manual fuel gauges. Basically they were a cap with a gauge in in the cap and a float that dangled from the cap. The gauge read how far down the float was. Old Yanmars had that style cap. I've heard that Piper Cubs had something similar. Maybe some others did too.

How are the rest of the gauges working - engine temp & oil?
rScotty

/ John Deere 5320 Tractor Fuel Gauge problem.
Are you sure the wire from the cluster to the sender isn't damaged somewhere and touching ground? That would produce the effect you're having and you may not have a defective gauge at all.

I guess that is possible, but is there a way to check to see if that is the problem. The wiring harness is difficult to get at. Is It possible to run wires from sender to the gauge?
Thanks Larry

Larry, My 2007 model 310 had the same symptom of a gauge going to max, but on mine it was with with the temperature gauge on the instrument cluster rather than the fuel gauge.
Other than that temperature gauge being maxed out, everything was working fine. I put a manual gauge sender onto the return hose just to make sure temperature was really OK. It was.

I was told down at JD that when a gauge goes to max like that it was because the voltage input to the engine computer had gone to zero, so the signal the EC sends to the gauge cluster is max. Things that could cause input to the EC to be zero it could be a broken wire from sender to EC, or it could be inside that expensive instrument cluster itself, but more likely it would be the engine controller computer (twice the price of the gauge cluster) - which is what mine was.

But I don't know if the 5320 even has an engine controller computer (EC). I guess I hope not, although when working they sure make the engine start & run smoothly.

I always liked the old float style manual fuel gauges. Basically they were a cap with a gauge in in the cap and a float that dangled from the cap. The gauge read how far down the float was. Old Yanmars had that style cap. I've heard that Piper Cubs had something similar. Maybe some others did too.

How are the rest of the gauges working - engine temp & oil?
rScotty

Scotty thanks for the information. Everything else with the gauge cluster is working.

You can buy a fuel gauge and mount it and run wires to the sender

Peter, I would like to try your idea if other checks does not resolve the fuel gauge inside the instrument cluster. My question is does the needle type fuel gauges have to be one that works with the fuel sender or do all of them work that way? Larry

Something like this you would need to check the ohm on the sending unit to find one that matched.. Amazon.com: Bosch SP�F����56 Style Line 2" Electrical Fuel Level Gauge (Black Dial Face, Black Bezel): Automotive

Peter, The fuel sending unit is 4.5 ohms full and 97.5 ohms empty. The fuel gages I looked at the ohm readings closes to that was 0 ohm full and 90 ohms empty. Do you think the gauges with 0-90 ohm will work with the fuel sending unit? I would think the fuel gauge would not work perfect, but maybe good enough that I get some idea how much fuel is in the tank. Larry