John Deere 5410 Hydraulic Problem

/ John Deere 5410 Hydraulic Problem #1  

curtis26160

Tractor
Case 1210 / John Deere 5410 / Ford 9N
Hello,
I have a John Deere 5410 4x4 with FEL, the hydraulics do not seem to want to work especially when cold this includes the FEL, 3 point and steering. Eventually after running and driving the tractor steering it (very hard to steer I might add) it will intermittently start to work and after long enough it will work but even after it's warm will sometimes be a little jerky (nowhere near as bad as when it is cold though) this does not seem near as bad in warmer weather, it almost always acts up to some degree when you first start it but usually in under a minute your good in the warmer months. I have changed hydraulic fluid and filter a couple times and fluid did not appear to be contaminated at any time, also cleaned the screen although it was clean when I removed it each time, I have put a new suction pipe (from filter housing to pump) on it and removed filter housing and replaced the O-rings where it bolts to tractor, none of those seemed to make any difference. I also have used John Deere Hydraulic Filters and John Deere Hy-Gard Hydraulic fluid every time. Thought about replacing pump but would like to make sure that's the issue before throwing parts and $ at it. Thanks

/ John Deere 5410 Hydraulic Problem #2  
Welcome to TBN
You might want to consider changing hyd oil to low viscosity Hy-Gard. How many hrs are showing on speed-hour meter?

/ John Deere 5410 Hydraulic Problem
Thanks, the tractor has around 3800 hours, I'd thought about using the low viscosity as I use it in the lawn mower but wasn't sure if it would damage anything due to the high heat when baling hay, etc..

/ John Deere 5410 Hydraulic Problem #4  
Since it sounds like you have done everything else, my guess is probably the pump. It sounds like it may be sucking air in around the shaft seal. Usually when this happens you also suck some engine oil into the hydraulics and hydraulic oil gets dark from engine oil contamination.

/ John Deere 5410 Hydraulic Problem
Thanks for the reply. When I changed the hydraulic oil and filter the oil had 500 hours on it but still looked clear, I change engine oil and filter every 150 hours and the level doesn't drop but maybe a millimeter or two on the dipstick. Although I agree it does seem to point to a pump issue