John Deere 550 dozer problem

/ John Deere 550 dozer problem #1  

ernemats

Veteran Member
Tractor
power trac 422, and agco-allis 5660, john deere 550 dozer ,1845 power trac
I have an older John Deere 550 dozer (year 1979) and it starts right up but after a few minutes of running it starts shooting water/antifreeze out the overflow vent where the cap is. I have filled it with water to the top of the radiator core and check it after running and it is down so I think it is a problem with the cooling system. Someone I talked to suggested it might be a head gasket. Any help would be appreciated.

/ John Deere 550 dozer problem #2  
Preassure is getting from the cylinder into the radiator.
Likely culprints: 1) blown head gasket
2) cracked head

/ John Deere 550 dozer problem #3  
Likely culprints: 1) blown head gasket
2) cracked head

Yep....most likely that's it.

/ John Deere 550 dozer problem #4  
Pull you're dipstick look at and smell the oil?

/ John Deere 550 dozer problem
If it's a head gasket how big a job to repair? Is it something I can tackle and also does it hurt to run it for a short time to get it to the shop or loaded on a trailer?

/ John Deere 550 dozer problem #6  
If it is a head gasket and you are handy with tools you could it your self.
However if you opt to have it done professionally then you can drive it for short periods to load/unload, and get into workshop. HOWEVER if the water pissing out of the overflow stops SHUT DOWN IMMEDIATLY. You have run the radiator dry and are about to sieze the engine. Refill the radiator then continue movement.
If you opt for do it yourself: Get a workshop manual BEFORE you start anything.
Do you have a shed that can fit the dozer? If the floor is concrete, lay down 2" thick timber to save the concrete.
A head unit is heavy. I reccomend you use a block and tackle to do the initial lift.
Be aware that when torqueing a head down there may be a particular order to torque down the studs.
good luck.

/ John Deere 550 dozer problem
Still cannot decide what I want to do. Another person I talked to said it could be something simple like a clogged hose or radiator. I cannot see any sign of a leak on the engine or no smell of antifreeze in the oil.

/ John Deere 550 dozer problem #8  
You can rent or buy a radiator pressure test kit to see if the head gasket is bad ....

/ John Deere 550 dozer problem #9  
Likely culprints: 1) blown head gasket 2) cracked head
That would be my guess too...

To the OP, IF you pull the head, get it checked professionally including magnafluxed, to look for cracks ect., to eliminate more problems on down the road.

SR

/ John Deere 550 dozer problem #10  
Have you checked whether the coolant to water ratio is correct? have you done a pressure test on the radiator? You could certainly drain the radiator and have it checked. That would be a lot cheaper than pulling the engine. Just be careful, the nose on those machines is not light.