John Deere 550 dozer problem

/ John Deere 550 dozer problem #11  
Pull the radiator cap and see if water bubbles out when the engine is running. If so, there’s a good chance the head gasket is done for.

/ John Deere 550 dozer problem #12  
Have you checked whether the coolant to water ratio is correct? have you done a pressure test on the radiator? You could certainly drain the radiator and have it checked. That would be a lot cheaper than pulling the engine. Just be careful, the nose on those machines is not light.
Why would he need to "pull the engine", to replace (if needed) a head gasket???

SR

/ John Deere 550 dozer problem #13  
Replace the radiator cap as it might not be working correctly. If still have leaking do a pressure test, make sure the radiator is clear/clean for air flow. Make sure the anti freeze is close to 50/50 as possible, I have seen a CAT D3 run hot from almost pure anti freeze.
If you don't have water in the oil, or bubbling in the radiator while at hot idle, your head is fine more than likely. Run the cap loose and see what happens when hot.
The other culprit I'd replace is the thermostat.

/ John Deere 550 dozer problem #14  
Why would he need to "pull the engine", to replace (if needed) a head gasket???

SR

there are many reasons why a head gasket could go bad and if its been run (which is sounds like it has some) for a length of time, there could be a multitude of issues caused that would require the block to be taken out to address.

/ John Deere 550 dozer problem #15  
there are many reasons why a head gasket could go bad and if its been run (which is sounds like it has some) for a length of time, there could be a multitude of issues caused that would require the block to be taken out to address.
Could that happen, sure it could, but pulling the head and having it checked is MUCH easier and most times will take care of the problem.

SR

/ John Deere 550 dozer problem #16  
Could that happen, sure it could, but pulling the head and having it checked is MUCH easier and most times will take care of the problem.

SR

Could, but its not a guarantee. I wanted to make sure all bases were covered whether highly likely or not. YMMV

/ John Deere 550 dozer problem
My grandson and I were fooling around with the dozer yesterday and we have arrived at the conclusion that it is not the head gasket but a problem with the oil cooler. The oil in the crankcase looks good but the oil in the transmission looks like a milkshake the same as the engine coolant. We believe the oil cooler at the bottom of the radiator is leaking somewhere so we are going to pull the radiator and oil cooler out and check them for leaks . Does it sound logical?

/ John Deere 550 dozer problem #18  
Is it blowing all the fluid out or does it stop after it reaches a certain level. I had a JD that would blow out a good bit of fluid like that, if I filled it up to the neck. A a hour or two it would stop.

/ John Deere 550 dozer problem #19  
Re post 17, if the radiator and oil cooler are integrated , then yes, this is logical. Look on the net. There are certain models of car that had integrated radiator/oil coolers that leaked ,mixed coolant and oil and destroyed the transmission as a result.
There is 1 anomaly, and that is , how is the radiator preassurizing?