John Deere 650- hard to get into gear

/ John Deere 650- hard to get into gear #1  

Wreckaboy1

Tractor
John Deere 650
Hi Guys

I just bought a John Deere 650, I believe its around a 1988. 4wd, with a bucket loader. I'm having a problem getting into gear from a stop: If I start the tractor, let the clutch out in neutral, then depress the clutch and put it into gear it grinds. There is a shaft that is still spinning. However, once I'm in gear, and I come to a stop, keeping the clutch depressed, I can shift gears no problem. Does anyone have suggestions on what to look for?

Much appreciated,

Joe

/ John Deere 650- hard to get into gear #2  
Push the clutch in and count to 5 slowly,then put it in gear.If that isn't enough,wait a few more seconds-they all do that.

/ John Deere 650- hard to get into gear
Thank you. I tried that just now, it seems to get better if I wait 20 seconds but that main shaft seems to still spin a bit. Not sure if it needs a clutch adjustment.

/ John Deere 650- hard to get into gear #4  
You should have about an inch of free play in the pedal before you feel resistance.

Thanks Barry. I don't think I have any free play in that clutch pedal. It was worse when I bought the tractor to start. I adjusted the pedal out, it made shifting better, so I think it needs to be adjusted out even more so I get additional throw?

Regards

Joe

/ John Deere 650- hard to get into gear #6  
Is the PTO engaged ?

hi,

The PTO was not engaged. Maybe someone can clarify free play on the clutch- should the pedal be "loose" for an inch before there is resistance? Currently, as soon as I step on the pedal, its resistive.

Thanks

Joe

/ John Deere 650- hard to get into gear #8  
Yes. You should be able to push the pedal down about an inch with one finger.If it has no free play,the clutch will slip,and the throw out bearing will wear out.
You might end up having to replace the clutch.If it is adjusted right,and it still won't stop spinning when you push it in,then about the only other thing it could be,would be a damaged clutch or pressure plate.

/ John Deere 650- hard to get into gear #9  
650 clutch linkage adj.jpg

Thanks guys. I adjusted the clutch to the factory specs and still can't get that shaft to stop. If I leave the PTO engaged. it slows down to make this manageable. I've done many clutches on cars and trucks. Is this something that can be done in about a day?