John Deere 790 - A Good Deal?

/ John Deere 790 - A Good Deal? #1  

10boomer

Hello all,

I'm looking for some advise. I have 2ea 3 acre lots (one with my house) that are moderately wooded. I have a lot of small projects (gardening, landscaping, moving rocks, extending the driveway and maintaining it (gravel), leveling, pulling some trees and stumps, moving dirt, and mowing.

I initially looked at the JD 2720 but thought the loader might be too "small" for the gravel and rock work....so started looking at the 3320. Want a loader, box, and shredder (figured I could rent a backhoe when needed). The price for a new 3320 scared me a bit (since only 36 month 0 interest is available) so am looking at the used market.

Found a 2007 JD 790 with approx 40 hours with loader and 5' shredder (I can pick up a used box for around $450). Owner is asking $13k for the tractor...I think I can get it for around $12.5k

The Question....is this a pretty good deal? I wanted HST, but is the 790 standard tranny "easy" on the amateur and part-time tractor user? The 790 is under 30 hp even if on a larger frame....do you think the loader will keep up with the 3320 at 32hp?

Thanks in advance for your comments and suggestions.....

/ John Deere 790 - A Good Deal?
Thank you....I'll search for your posts....

/ John Deere 790 - A Good Deal? #3  
I have a 790 and yes the transmission is a pain if doing a lot of loader work but I don't do a lot of loader work and I love the tractor. For ground engaging work it is great, lots of power, good traction if it is a 4WD and you have the tires filled and everyone says its bullet proof. I only have 80 hours on mine so can't really say although I haven't had any problems. If I were you I would look on tractorhouse.com and look for prices for a 790 with 300 loader and similiar hours in your area. Also price a new one with loader on the JD configurator figuring in the financing that JD has.

Thanks.. I've looked on tractorhouse but nothing in my local area (just west of Austin Texas). What I've seen is these guys were approx $14k new so not much of a discount. I do plan to do a bit of loader work (especially when I tackle the driveway (approx 300' extension on a current 300' drive and circle). The more I read, the more I think this may not be the right tranny for me..... Then again, I really do not have a good feel right now exactly how much time I will spend "on each outing" when doing this work....may only be a few hours at a time....so the manual tranny may not bother me as much as I'm thinking...

/ John Deere 790 - A Good Deal? #5  
Price aside,
the 300 loader on the 790,
or current 3005 will not work
alongside the 300CX on the 20
series tractors. If you need that
type of performance, get a used 3320 or
something similar, even if you have to sacrifice
a few more hours.

did you see the E series tractors? 3032E, more
hp than the 790, hydro, non removeable loader,
(again, not with performance of 300cx) for not much
more $$ than the price of a new 790..

We just sold a used 305 with 27 hrs in the 13K range.
(with 300 ldr)

good luck, and test drive a few to see how much you
really would like the hydro.

:D

/ John Deere 790 - A Good Deal? #6  
I've driven tractors most of my life and only a hydro for about an hour so I'm certainly biased. With the 790 you have to pretty much stop between every gear change or they will grind. I once did about 3 hours of heavy duty loader work and I was pretty much exhausted. For grading and snow plowing just pick a gear and go and there isn't a problem. I've always been one to favor paying a lot less for used when you don't know how its been used and maintained. Have owned a lot of used tractors and with one exception they have been good, but always try to pay about half of new. 40 hours isn't many hours if it hasn't been abused (you can burn a clutch pretty quick if you don't know what you are doing). It does have its first oil changes at 50 hours so that is a negotiation point. Also look of other little things that will cost you if you want it and it isn't included like filled tires or weights, level indicator on bucket, heavy duty bucket, TNT, Power Beyond, canopy, etc.

/ John Deere 790 - A Good Deal? #7  
Hello all,

I'm looking for some advise. I have 2ea 3 acre lots (one with my house) that are moderately wooded. I have a lot of small projects (gardening, landscaping, moving rocks, extending the driveway and maintaining it (gravel), leveling, pulling some trees and stumps, moving dirt, and mowing.

I initially looked at the JD 2720 but thought the loader might be too "small" for the gravel and rock work....so started looking at the 3320. Want a loader, box, and shredder (figured I could rent a backhoe when needed). The price for a new 3320 scared me a bit (since only 36 month 0 interest is available) so am looking at the used market.

Found a 2007 JD 790 with approx 40 hours with loader and 5' shredder (I can pick up a used box for around $450). Owner is asking $13k for the tractor...I think I can get it for around $12.5k

The Question....is this a pretty good deal? I wanted HST, but is the 790 standard tranny "easy" on the amateur and part-time tractor user? The 790 is under 30 hp even if on a larger frame....do you think the loader will keep up with the 3320 at 32hp?

Thanks in advance for your comments and suggestions.....

Hello 10boomer. Price seems right, as for the tranny debate, I thinks its all in the user. I dont mind it. For part-time use I would think it be perfect. Easy for beginner. I run r-1 ag tires rears filled. But max traction is a must for me, not so much toughness or ride. No lack in power. As of now go 155 hours on mine, is all good:D

/ John Deere 790 - A Good Deal? #8  
I would really like a hydro tranny.....but I wanted to keep my costs down. The 790 does that pretty well...and still has good power for it's size. I had a lot of implements to get, and I am occasional user without too much loader work. For me the economy of the 790 seemed to fill the bill. The price for that low hour machine sounds fair....if you don't have any problems...and if all is right, you shouldn't with those low hours.

Good comments and something for me to "chew on". Thanks.....

/ John Deere 790 - A Good Deal? #10  
10B,

This comment struck me:
I initially looked at the JD 2720 but thought the loader might be too "small" for the gravel and rock work
so I wanted to comment on that...

The 2520/2720 machines will lift a full load of either with the 61" bucket and adequate rear ballast-like a ballast box filled with concrete. I think it might be a good match for your acreage as well. Don't be so quick to discount them, also might see if your dealer is willing to let you demo it at your property-many will.